Bamboo shoots 2018

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Bamboo shoots 2018

Post by Tarzanus »

None of my bamboos started shooting yet, not even the fastest shooter - Fargesia Rufa, it is still dormant and the shoots are almost the same size as they were in late fall.

But, there are bamoos that started already, despite our harsh second part of the winter. Phyllostachys arcana seedlings in my raised bed outside are re-starting.

https://cold-hardy.com/early-shooting-o ... seedlings/
Attachments
arcana-early-shoots.jpg
mshaffer

Re: Bamboo shoots 2018

Post by mshaffer »

I've noticed when I step on the mulch in some places, it feels hollow/less solid. I don't know if that's the shoots or some other phenomenon.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

@mshaffer Perhaps its because my boos are still young, but I avoid entering my fenced area around them from about a month before to a month after shooting to keep from accidentally stepping on a precious shoot. Hopefull someday it wont be as big of a deal and I'll also be able to cook some of them up. But for now I am working away from home so I dont have the luxury of seeing the shooting this year. That being said, the place I work here in northern Kentucky has several groves of bamboo in the gardens for me to watch and learn from including a very impressive looking Atro grove, although it appears to have been top killed by a one day -7 event in early January. Only the Bisettii here looks ok-ish. Other than the Bissettii, only the YG here has any green leaves left and those are very ratty looking. Also today I did see what appeared to be a single shoot starting in the Sasa Palmata at work, though it may just be an anomaly as it covers a large area and I only spotted one.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Shooting now are....

Fargesia scabrida and plain robusta, edulis gold stripe has just decided pop up but there reallly isn’t enough ground temp to get things going. A few others are going in the GH. Borinda albocerea Yunnan 3a, KR 5287, KR 7613.

I’ll post some pictures when I’m back around the boo.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

When do Borinda shoot relative to other species? It might be the only genus of bamboo I have that is not currently shooting, I assumed they would shoot such as Fargesia does, generally ahead of the Phyllostachys. Ah, yes, my Dendrocalamus are not shooting either.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

needmore wrote:When do Borinda shoot relative to other species? It might be the only genus of bamboo I have that is not currently shooting, I assumed they would shoot such as Fargesia does, generally ahead of the Phyllostachys. Ah, yes, my Dendrocalamus are not shooting either.
https://cold-hardy.com/bamboo-shooting-calendar/
They take quite some time. Once after the hard freeze, it started in August, usually it starts shooting in May. This winter it (Borinda fungosa seedling - could be anything, but it is Borinda) got frozen quite bad again, it's going to suffer, I'm afraid..

Variegated Phyllostachys arcana seedling's shoot. They usually appear pink like this one and turn light green. Still completely juvenile - can't wait to see them mature.
https://img.cold-hardy.com/2018/03/p-ar ... 24x768.jpg

There is also one badass shoot on unvariegated seedling as well. A few times larger at least. Nice upsize compared to last year.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

needmore wrote:When do Borinda shoot relative to other species? It might be the only genus of bamboo I have that is not currently shooting, I assumed they would shoot such as Fargesia does, generally ahead of the Phyllostachys. Ah, yes, my Dendrocalamus are not shooting either.

I find my borinda shoot way late. They need the consistent heat to get going. And I think the super hot heat actually stalls them too.

So late spring and then sometimes fall again I get a shooting that usually just die off because of the frosts.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mainly curious if they usually follow or precede the Phyllostachys?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Phyllos are almost branching out when I see first shoots. Borinda folliws them after 1.5 to 2 months. I write down all shooting dates into shooting calendar linked above. Dates are quite consistent and depend on winter. Borinda refuses to shoot when damaged during the winter and starts in late summer when temperatures start to drop. Like mentioned, heat also prevents them from shooting or majes them grow only a few smaller shoots. Second wave happens in late summer/early fall and looks like spring shooting should look like - nice upsize and prolific shooting that often stops only when frost makes them halt.
needmore

Post by needmore »

If heat stops them then mine will never shoot here! Thanks for the info, sounds like they are a few weeks off then perhaps. It is in the 80'sF now and in a few weeks it will be that or hotter so if they wait for cool temps it will be Nov. Last year these were potted and produced shoots but I can't recall when, I know it was not fall.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I was afraid we have too warm climate for then during summer. As a small seedling, it suffered whenever I left it exposed to full sun and the heat made it curl the leaves completely during the day. As it grew larger, it became completely unaffected by heat up to 36C which we had. We are lucky that our night temperatures usually drop below 20C during summer so the plant has a chance to cool down a bit. Roots/rhizomes are shaded completely and there-s thick layer of leaves on the ground. My Borinda looses and grows a lot of leaves!

I hope it works well fir you. Borinda is by far the best looking bamboo I have, when it thrives. Lately it doesn't.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mine in a pot for 2 seasons was upsizing and shooting like crazy, leaf curl in the day for sure, it got mites so I butchered it and made it look ratty, nice bright green leaves now on last year's new culms but the overall form is still butchered. I put it in the shade of 2 large pecan trees which will keep it out of the sun but they'll suck that soil dry so I'll really have to water.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

This year, bamboos will shoot very late. Could be that most of bamboos will shoot even later than 2013 - year after brutal winter that killed my P. aurea to the ground and did a lot of damage to all of my bamboos, even Rufa.
IMG_20180407_094338.jpg
Phyllostachys arcana seedlings are on the other hand doing extremely well. They are in a little bit protected spot in a raised bed which enables the soil to heat up a bit earlier, so they started already. These are all the shoots coming out from last year's summer rhizomes. They matured enough to start shooting - something my Moso seedlings never wanted to do.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Borinda fungosa put up a shoot yesterday and I see a tiny one next to it this AM, the Borinda angustissima is putting up stupid tiny shoots as well, last year's culms are a nice leafy rich green but these shoots are toothpicks in comparison.

Strange I have Phy henon & the Nigra form about 10' apart, same soild conditions, same light, similar ages and sizes, the Nigra has several shoots some beyond a foot tall, the Henon nothing.

The strange Phy sp. 'Natchez' is moving me into the camp of Jim Bonner who I believe collected it as he thinks it will prove to be a form of Phy praecox, if so I wonder if it is a sport or a seedling of the Viridistriata form. What makes this strange is that the new culms are yellow with a green sulcus at sheath fall and slowly turn green over the summer, losing all yellow but a hint of the sulcus color remains. An early shooter like Praecox, shoots speckled but as they elongate they look like the yellow forms of Bambusoides with cream and green striping.

Steve the Phy prominens I obtained from you that I think is S3 is surely S3, they are identical in every way and as with last year shoots emerged on the exact same day. My S3 came from the Steve you got your Prominens from, I wonder if you were digging the escapees from each grove perhaps you got an S3 thinking Prominens? My S3 came from him as well. I've planted them in the same mound anyway and now I'm having to harvest the cabbage I planted in between them to let the shoots get some sun.

Phy fimbriligula, Phy edulis and Phy aureosulcata Aureocaulis are pushing new branches now, Phy rutila starting and the Vivax forms might be waking up. Phy nidularia shooting madly with no upsize but lots of shoots. Phy stimulosa shooting well now, the aurea forms all shooting well, Holochyrsa shoots approaching 6', same with Spectabilis.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Fargesia apricubens, aka dragons head, with some upsizing. New shoots up to almost 1/2 inch in diameter, plant a little over 6 ft now, so will probably get taller this year. I had this plant for almost 10 years before it grew much, but has been slowly getting bigger for the last 8 years or so.
Attachments
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG