Bamboo for zone 6A

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Maverick8550
Location info: 0

Bamboo for zone 6A

Post by Maverick8550 »

I’ve been wanting to grow bamboo in my area but it’s hard to find a place where I can search for bamboo for my region specifically. I’ve found places where I can click on plants individually but I generally have to read through each one to see if it’ll grow in my area. If that’s what I have to do then I can but I was just curious to see if there is a site that makes it a bit easier.

I might be trying to plant a couple species because I’d like one so I can use it to help in the garden and with flowers. Then a second one that’s for beauty if possible. If I could get both features (function and beauty) in one species that would be even better.
dependable

Re: Bamboo for zone 6A

Post by dependable »

If you want running bamboo, with good sceening effect, Phyllostachys bissetti might be you best bet, as this is hardiest and least prone to winter damage. P aureosulcata varieties will probably also survive, and a few others.

If a clumping bamboo is what you want, Fargesias nitida, rufra, and denudata will likely do OK.

There are some other choices in both categories, but that is a start. Remember that one or two sub zero F windy nights can set your plantings back years, so it is good to believe the more pessimistic hardiness ratings when you choose your plants.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

What part of Missouri are you? As mentioned above, any of the Ph Aureosulcatas will work here and Bissetii. The Aureosulcatas do get leaf bud damage and top kill some winters but they do consistently up size in spite of damage. Ph Stimulosa does very well here. I haven't had any damage on it even with -12 nights two winters ago. Forget about the clumpers. Our summers are too hot here.

How big of an area do you have to grow in?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

If you're anywhere in the St. Louis area you're welcome to come by my place and see a variety of species and how they perform for me. You can also take home a bunch of bamboo canes for your garden as I have plenty this year. :cry:
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

Phyllostachys Nigra Henon is pretty hardy aswell. Mine rarely ever gets damaged in the winter.
springtimeshoots

Post by springtimeshoots »

thebambooguy wrote:Phyllostachys Nigra Henon is pretty hardy aswell. Mine rarely ever gets damaged in the winter.

I am curious, how mature is your Henon grove and is it protected by any structures? I have two grove of Henon; Both 8 years old. One is planted on a hill in an open field and the other is in my back yard. The one on the Hill gets regularly top killed a few degrees below zero, where as the one in my backyard tops will die off (They are 20 ft).
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

springtimeshoots wrote:
thebambooguy wrote:Phyllostachys Nigra Henon is pretty hardy aswell. Mine rarely ever gets damaged in the winter.

I am curious, how mature is your Henon grove and is it protected by any structures? I have two grove of Henon; Both 8 years old. One is planted on a hill in an open field and the other is in my back yard. The one on the Hill gets regularly top killed a few degrees below zero, where as the one in my backyard tops will die off (They are 20 ft).
It's not very mature at all but it's leaves don't seem to get damaged in the winter granted it is in my back yard aswell and sheltered by 12 foot fences so that plays a huge roll I'm sure
springtimeshoots

thebambooguy wrote:
springtimeshoots wrote:

It's not very mature at all but it's leaves don't seem to get damaged in the winter granted it is in my back yard aswell and sheltered by 12 foot fences so that plays a huge roll I'm sure
Mostly likely. My backyard also has a fence around it and is thriving.

The reason why I ask is because I've read a couple of posts like a decade ago where a user once said he saw a huge, mature grove of Henon in a zone 6 location. Is it a myth? I don't know. Maybe they don't receive zone 6 temperatures too often. Maybe Henon will harden with maturity. And maybe, just maybe, my Henon will get thicker in size. A man can still dream.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think the OP should stay away from Henon in a true zone 6A location.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

springtimeshoots wrote:
thebambooguy wrote:
springtimeshoots wrote:

The reason why I ask is because I've read a couple of posts like a decade ago where a user once said he saw a huge, mature grove of Henon in a zone 6 location. Is it a myth? I don't know. Maybe they don't receive zone 6 temperatures too often. Maybe Henon will harden with maturity. And maybe, just maybe, my Henon will get thicker in size. A man can still dream.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think the OP should stay away from Henon in a true zone 6A location.

I think it was me, it's not a myth, the grove is in Summertown TN probably 6b but subzero some winters.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

we may find out if we move to Idaho. Though we are looking in 6B areas
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

needmore wrote:
springtimeshoots wrote:
thebambooguy wrote:
springtimeshoots wrote:

I think it was me, it's not a myth, the grove is in Summertown TN probably 6b but subzero some winters.
Do bamboos get more hardy as the grove gets larger? At some point does the outer part of the grove take damage from wind chill while the center stays undamaged?
springtimeshoots

needmore wrote:
Interesting. I wonder what variables have lead it to thrive in Summertown successfully. Another interesting fact is I am latitudinal in line with Summertown. The only difference is that I foresee it never becoming mature in a place around OKC without it being in a protected area. I think it's the wind that really destroys bamboo here.
Last edited by springtimeshoots on Sat May 12, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

thebambooguy wrote: Do bamboos get more hardy as the grove gets larger? At some point does the outer part of the grove take damage from wind chill while the center stays undamaged?
Yes and yes.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Regarding Henon, as I've posted before, have/had a dense fairly mature grove get killed to the ground a few years ago. I think it was around -5F or so. Vivax next to it fared only slightly better, with 70% KTG.

Here is zone 7A, for what it is worth.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

You're right about the wind Springtime. I was going to say the same thing. I am on the edge of the prairie so my conditions are very similar to yours. Wind is a constant. The very hot dry summer winds are the difference between us and the other zone 6 & 7 growers. My Henon top kills too but it is steadily up sizing. Shanghai 3 and Parvi really jumped this year. It been 3 years for me to get them to this point where they can take off.