white bamboo?

Moderator: needmore

timrodgers
Location info: 0

white bamboo?

Post by timrodgers »

I have a small 10 yr old grove of Yellow Groove. This spring I noticed a lone shoot that was white. Is that typical?
Attachments
bamboo 9.jpg
bamboo 8.jpg
bamboo 7.jpg
dependable

Re: white bamboo?

Post by dependable »

If that shoot is alive, it is not common at all.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

That's really interesting! All-white variegation in any plant is usually not a good thing for survival, as no green means no chlorophyl which means no photosynthesis. I'd leave it alone (don't try to dig it out) and see if you get more culms like that next year, or some variegation pattern that has some green in it. :)

Thanks for sharing -- really cool!
timrodgers

Post by timrodgers »

Thank you guys, for your insight.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Wow that's fantastic!!...and the best part is, I would think it should survive. It's attached to the rest of the grove so it doesn't "need" any chlorophyll of its own. (Only my opinion based on the same growing habit in redwoods) I definitely agree with Alan though do not try to separate it, that'll kill it for sure. Is it is shade or sun? (Hopefully shade)
Sottozero

Post by Sottozero »

Hello, I'm new here but I decided to write something because this is really interesting. It could be the birth of a new variety, maybe with white and green culms, in this way the whole plant could make photosynthesis, even if slower.
Keep us posted about this, I'm courious and I'll be glad to be the first in Italy with this bamboo

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk
timrodgers

Post by timrodgers »

Hey Matt(?)
Thanks for you reply! It is in the sun most of the day. Also, I'm not sure why all my pics are posted sideways….
Sottozero

Post by Sottozero »

Hello, I'm new here but this is really interesting, this could be a wonderful new variety, I thought the most decorative white bamboo was P. bambusoides "Richard Haubrich" but, with totally white and green culms in a single plant, this would be much more better.
Just keep us posted, I'm really courious, and I want to be the first in Italy having this variety :D
Deane

Post by Deane »

I have had white seedlings before but they always die, I have also had white leafs on some bamboos but they grow out,but I have not seen a hole culm before
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Full sun huh?...we'll that'll be the best test of the culms ability to survive, even if not necessarily best for that survival. Do you know how long its been "open" and growing for? Any obvious signs of stress? How does it compare with the rest of the grove in size?

If I'm bugging you then too bad...lol, you shouldn't have posted a pic of an albino bamboo... :lol:

Edit: Oh and your pics orient fine when made larger.
timrodgers

Post by timrodgers »

The "white" one is new this spring. As you can see, it's not real sturdy. but it appears to be as healthy as "green" culms of comparable size. All the new culms vary in size, even after 10 years.
I've emailed my pics to the "Missouri Botanical Gardens" here in St. Louis but can not seem to get a reply...
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I have seen white culms establish on various species but not necessarily developed to this extent. As I recall Tarzanus and I went around and around on Koi shoots - that I had never seen new shoots with the coloring of shoots he had posted. Since then I have noticed odd ball coloring on new shoots of several species. I'm betting it has to do with the elements in the soil and if you are familiar with asparagus, how long it takes, as well as how deep a new shoot takes to reach soil level. Again, I have not seen the white level of develop reach this level. Rgds
NobeyamaGP

Post by NobeyamaGP »

White bamboo! I've never seen that before. Hopefully it stays around and the rest of the grove has enough energy to keep it alive. It reminds me that there is actually a fantasy Japanese anime called Mushishi that has a white bamboo culm-lookalike called a "Magari-dake" http://mushi-shi.wikia.com/wiki/Magari-dake as one of its fantasy creatures.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Have you gotten anymore white shoots?
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

I have seen this on oldhamii but eventually all the leaves brown up and the shoot dies from what I have seen
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country