Help Identifying Bamboo Species

Moderator: needmore

Andros2240
Location info: 0

Help Identifying Bamboo Species

Post by Andros2240 »

Hello my name is Andy and I’m new to bambooweb, I’m looking for help in identifying this bamboo species/ maybe there are 2 different species in the same grove. On most of the outside edge of the grove that receives the most sun. There are yellow/golden canes with doing my research and having in my yard I know they are Phyllostachys Aurea, but on the inside of grove there are bigger canes, some as thick as 3-4 inches....some of the bigger canes have compressed lower internodes, but dont have branches on the lower portion of culm.

Any help would be appreciated....Thank You, Andy
Attachments
9D1693DE-E4D5-4DC9-B8E9-FC13DF08A745.jpeg
8C65CA12-80CE-4550-862F-5BEF694FE0B6.jpeg
1BDE570B-1B6A-4D99-AA57-D91E93D480AD.jpeg
Tarzanus

Re: Help Identifying Bamboo Species

Post by Tarzanus »

Phyllostachys aurea is on first two photos, possibly on the last one as well.
Glen

Re: Help Identifying Bamboo Species

Post by Glen »

Andros2240 wrote:Hello my name is Andy and I’m new to bambooweb, I’m looking for help in identifying this bamboo species/ maybe there are 2 different species in the same grove. On most of the outside edge of the grove that receives the most sun. There are yellow/golden canes with doing my research and having in my yard I know they are Phyllostachys Aurea, but on the inside of grove there are bigger canes, some as thick as 3-4 inches....some of the bigger canes have compressed lower internodes, but dont have branches on the lower portion of culm.

Any help would be appreciated....Thank You, Andy
Everything that I am seeing is consistent with Phyllostachys aurea, but I have never seen or heard of this species reaching diameters over 3 inches. Did you actually measure the diameter with a caliper, or did you estimate the measurement? If you really have 4 inch culms, I would tend to think there are two species present.

When P. aurea gets large, it will often have no lower branches, and compressed internodes may not be present, or they may be higher up on the culms. This usually occurs on the interior of the grove, as you describe.

Since these plants are mature, the shoots will be very useful in identification. Next time the grove shoots, get some clear photographs and post them here, and we should be able to help.