please recommend resources for learning about DIY w/poles

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Eric
Location info: 0

please recommend resources for learning about DIY w/poles

Post by Eric »

I read one book on DIY projects with bamboo that had a good but fairly brief chapter in the front about how to use bamboo -- I can't remember the title -- and I've seen some things on the internet, but I'd really like to find more information and more in depth information about how to make the best use of bamboo poles. I'm not interested in using purchased preservatives, but I'm very interested in questions like which species of bamboo dry best without splitting (assuming there's even a difference between species), what difference it makes whether poles are harvested at one time of year or another or at different ages, what difference it makes if the branches are cut off immediately or left on, whether placing the base of cut poles in water after harvesting makes any difference, what storage conditions minimize splitting, what variables can be controlled to minimize damage from the insects -- I guess they're powder post beetles, but I really don't even know what I'm seeing -- that make little holes near the nodes and then tunnel through the "wood" of my bamboo poles, what methods can be used for heating bamboo to bring the oils to the surface for that really nice polished look, whether heating like that can help to minimize insect damage, and then all sorts of questions on techniques for working with bamboo: the details of making cuts, joinery, lashing... I imagine there are old men somewhere in East Asia that have spent their whole lives becoming masters of all this sort of information, but the information seems really hard to come by in English, and even a master of bamboo craft in East Asia probably wouldn't know the answers to some basic questions particular to my location in the Southeast US. So that's a long intro, but if anyone can recommend any kind of learning resources (books, youtube videos, websites, discussion forums... anything really), I'd be very interested in hearing about your recommendations. Thanks!
dependable

Re: please recommend resources for learning about DIY w/pole

Post by dependable »

Crafts w bamboo is not a big interest of mine, but can tell you a few observations:

The species do vary some in culm (pole) quality. Some of the best are tropical & semi tropical I can't grow here.

Of the ones I grow, Phyllostachys nuda produces the thickest and strongest culms.

Older culms, that are still alive, make the best posts, have the densest & strongest structure.

There is a book called ''The Craft and Art of Bamboo'', by Carol Strangler, but have not read it in a while, mainly craft ideas I think. There is some info on preparation and construction techniques in the venerable ''Book of Bamboo'' by David Farrelly.
Eric

Re: please recommend resources for learning about DIY w/pole

Post by Eric »

Thanks for the recommendations. The Craft and Art of Bamboo might be the DIY book I mentioned. I remember the book I'm thinking of was written by a woman, because she was pictured in some of the demos in the book. If that's not the one I already read, I'll be sure to check it out. And I bought a copy of the Book of Bamboo, but I should have another look in that book for the kind of practical info I'm looking for. Thanks!