Fargesia Pingwu going to death?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

lor_zen
Location info: 0

Fargesia Pingwu going to death?

Post by lor_zen »

Hi all! I'm new into world of bamboo!
Recently (3 months ago) i purchased 4 plants of fargesia, to plant it on my garden without any barrier installation (like phyllostachys).
The position is fully sunny, i stay in northern of italy and this summer it was terribly hot, last 2 months we had 34-40 C with 80-95% humidity. the soil is mainly clayey, so I proceeded to mix it with other soil and expanded clay to improve drainage.

I watering 1 max 2 times for a week. I have also phyllostachys in pots and they looks great, but fargesia had a lot of dry leaves, the green leaves are faded and not growing. The species of fargesia are ping wu and green panda, the green panda look like better than the pingwu but i suspect something wrong. i attach some photo of 2 weeks ago.
Coul'd be the too much sunny position? another plants of fargesia nitida giansu, same garden (and same soil) in fully shade position look really great, leaves green and new cannes growing.

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
20190707_163256_1000x486.jpg
20190707_163249_1000x486.jpg
20190702_074215_1000x486.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Fargesia Pingwu going to death?

Post by needmore »

The montane forms of bamboo I have look like that and it is surely too much hot sun. I water mine daily and keep them well fed so it it is surely the heat, the montane forms I have in shade are lush green but do have some slightly dried leaves, green none the less. I considered moving mine but they are so huge that I don't have enough shady space left for them. I'd move yours I think.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Yep, sunburnt leaves. I have quite a few delicate seedlings that show similar damage.

If you can, shade it somehow or re-locate it.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Strange that the pingwu (a robusta) is doing poorly in the sun. The ABS species list has it rated a 4 (prefers sun). I have several fargesia's including robusta and I have them in predominately shady areas. They all seem to be happy in shade. It's always a good idea to check out the ABS species list for sun/shade preferences prior to buying bamboo. RGds
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Moso is rated 5, so it should take full sun rather easily, but mine gets yellowish with some burn damage each and every year. And we're not even far south, sun shouldn't be an issue. I thought it could just be my seedling, but I noticed another Moso not far away acting the same. I'm not sure about how and where it came from though...
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I think one of the problems is the amount of direct sun bamboo can tolerate. As an example mountain bamboo like sun but are adversely impacted by too much direct sun. I have also noticed that as the sun location and intensity changes, plants are negatively impacted for awhile but recover as the sun rotates.