BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am 

I have a Phyllostachys nuda, Fargesia 'Rufa', and a small Pleioblastus and I am in south-eastern Idaho in zone 5. The soil is alkaline.

The P. nuda is supposed to be very cold hardy but I'm kinda disappointed with it. Most winters the canes die to the ground. Last winter was really mild and the canes survived but there is a lot of leaf damage. The canes grow 6 feet at the most. The F. 'Rufa' is less damaged but grows 1 - 2 feet upward at the most. The Pleioblastus isn't doing much this Spring, so far, and I'm not sure how much of it survived the Winter.

What else can I try growing? I am hoping to find a bamboo that will grow taller and be more tolerant of our Winter wind. I thought of Phyllostachys bissetii or maybe Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou I' but I don't know how tolerant of alkaline soil they are and not sure how much sun the Jiuzhaigou would tolerate. I have a few big trees for a bit of shade but don't really have a good place for another shade loving bamboo. The Rufa already has the most ideal spot.

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm 

Fargesia J#1 would be ideal as it loses its leaves in winter. However I have no idea if it would toleratre alkaline soil.

john

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm 

P nuda is pretty hardy, but much less so when immature. P bissetti is the hardiest runner that I know of. Good luck growing in zone 5, probably near the limit for bamboo, cold wise.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.
In my garden is Fargesia sp. jiuzhaigou less hardy then rufa. I think íf you need the most hardy bamboo try F. nitida and murieliae. In Europe there are now available new hybrids F. nitida x murieliae. A few of them looks very promising. They are very hardy and finaly could be 4 meters hight.

From Phyllostachys genus Ph. bissetii and Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis are very similar in hardines like Ph. nuda. Maybe are a little bit better.

Sasa kurilensis and oshidensis are realy very hardy bamboos. I have them after more 10 years about 2 meters hight.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:55 am 

Perhaps look into Phyllostachys rubromarginata. I don't have it but I'm looking to get some. It's supposed to be pretty wind resistant and quite cold hardy.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:44 am 

Rubromarginata is one of the 'boos that looks better than most after a long winter, and its tendency to shoot late would help in not getting a jump on spring.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:39 pm 

Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.
I had 2 rubromarginatas from different sources and both were less hardy then aureosulcatas, bissetii etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:03 pm 

I can second this -- my rubro topkilled this past winter when nothing else in ground did. It could be somewhat attributed to drought though, at least as a contributing factor.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 pm 

Hmmm good to know, maybe I won't get it after all.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 am 

The other side of the world, same issue with my moso and several fruit trees. Almost no damage on all my bamboos except two - Phyllostachys aurea and Moso seedling. Aurea lost leaves but remained alive, Moso got devastated and most of highly damaged culms died. We did not have temps low enough to kill it that way, so I'm trying to figure out what tiny detail managed to devastate it.

Apricots also froze and used backup buds to leaf-out. Fig trees were killed to the ground.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm 

Tarzanus wrote:
Fig trees were killed to the ground.

If fig trees were killed to the ground, it is not surprise, that moso seedlings were damaget.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 am 

wufeng wrote:

If fig trees were killed to the ground, it is not surprise, that moso seedlings were damaget.

The thing is, temperatures were not low enough to do sedious damage this winter. Usually Pseudosasa japonica and Shiroshima get hit first, this year they only show minimal damage and Moso got almost completely fried above ground. This year it pushed out great number of small shoots, I guess it will recover soon.