NE Ohio Bamboo Project

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

AIPman1
Location info: 0

NE Ohio Bamboo Project

Post by AIPman1 »

Hello, I'm a complete newbie to bamboo but I've been researching for months now, and planning to get a nice wall of bamboo across the back of my yard. I've gone with a Fargestia Robusta Wolong for a live plant, I've done some cuttings from it to see if I can propagate it into more plants, and I've ordered some seeds online. I'm chronicling my efforts on youtube, and i'm sure I've made mistakes already, so I would love if I can get some engagement about things here and there.

Seeds on the way: A Fargesia variety...I asked what kind from the seller, noting what kind I was hoping for, and they basically said "Yes, this is the common kind" - which...I'm pretty sure the more common kind is the "Green Screen" variety...which...I won't be mad about...

Also have what was described as Fargesia Fungosa, but which I then learned is really called a Bordina Fungosa...which is not quite as cold hardy as the fargesias, but I'll try em out anyway, they were cheap.

The seeds are going to be in pots for at least 2 years to make sure I can keep them out of freezing temps while they are young, and out of major direct sun in summer till they are established, and also to make sure they really are what they say they are and arent some running variety...which I'd have to destroy, don't want that.

My video introduction of what I've done to prep the area, ect is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcBQDw4IbDg&t=439s

Let me know what you think!

-Ian
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: NE Ohio Bamboo Project

Post by needmore »

Ian, greetings and welcome. I hope your F robusta works out, problem is they are not very hardy. I could not grow it several hours south/warmer than you though you may have some lake effect micro climate that makes your zone nearer to mine. The fungosa will not survive there either I fear.

I'd be very suspect on the seeds, I've not heard of any form of Fargesia flowering recently save for F nitida a few years back but I could be behind the times on that. If you are getting them from outside the US it is illegal to do so watch that and it seems some websites grossly overstate the hardiness of the species they sell seed for.

I would encourage you to take a look at the F nitida new generation seedlings if you are trying for height, some of those should be old enough to have some hardiness observations, I suspect a conversation with Bamboo Garden in OR could get info on that. I could not grow those either but they should be the hardiest Fargesia that gets much height. F dracocephala 'Rufa' is the common one and is hardier than most but it does not tend to be a great screener unless you can find the European form that gets taller faster.

Screens with Fargesia in your climate is a lofty goal I fear, I think you'll really need to try the hardiest forms of Phyllostachys.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
AIPman1

Re: NE Ohio Bamboo Project

Post by AIPman1 »

I did some research. Seeds I ordered are not of any illegal variety, so I should be fine. If for any reason feds show up at my door, I plan to fully document my seeds progress or lack thereof, for the next few years at least...if they turn out to not be what i wanted, i'll destroy them myself. They aren't going in the ground until i am sure they are not any running variety and are what i wanted.

Fargesia is cold hardy to zone 6, which covers most of ohio, though there are parts considered zone 5. They actually divide zone 6 into a and b, b being more temperate. I am in the area of the b. right at the lake, which is literally about 10 houses away. the lake keeps our ground warmer into december, even January, in the fall...I've seen neighbors with palm trees surviving in this area. we warm back up slower than even a mile inland though...but generally "lake effect" goes right over us, and doesn't fall on us, lol, so I'll just hope for the best here...

I like to be an optimist.