BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm 

Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21 Location Details
I've grown Ph. parvifolia in Middle Tennessee for approximately 13 years, and these are the observations I've made regarding its growth.

Ph. parvifolia is an exceptionally hardy large bamboo. It is at least as hardy as vivax, and may be a 1/2 a growing zone more hardy than vivax.

Parvifolia is a heavy feeder, uses lots of nitrogen, and enjoys yearly doses of micro nutrients especially iron. Given proper nutrition and adequate water this is an exceptionally fast growing bamboo.

When young, parvi produces shoots at approximately 45°, and large masses of small deep green leaves cover the culms from top to bottom.
This seems to be an adaptation of immature parvi to quickly produce as much energy as possible by exposing more of the leaves to the sun.

Parvifolia is among the first bamboo to roll its leaves during hot and/or dry weather which helps this rapidly growing plant to conserve water.

In the spring, given adequate nutrition, parvifolia produces masses of deep green small leaves. The small leaves create, in total, a larger surface area than bamboo with larger leaves. As the heat of summer progresses the plants will drop leaves to balance the plant, but will always have more leaf mass than its brethren.

When mature, parvi seems to loose its tendency to lean out and grows upright. I think this plant is capable of 4" culms given proper nutrition. I have measured a 3" cane to be 43' tall.

Parvifolia is thin walled but does not seems to break as much under ice loads as vivax. The seasoned canes resist cracking especially if the septums are removed. The wood is thin but really "snappy".

The canes split well green or cured.

Attachments:
File comment: A young grove of parvifolia showing omnidirectional shooting at approximately 45°. Notice the masses of small leaves, and branches near the bases of the culms.
Parvi 90.jpg
Parvi 90.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 351 times ]
File comment: 12 year old grove of parvifolia. All of the mature culms are upright, and the tendency to produce shoots at 45 degrees seems to be gone.
Parvi mature 90.jpg
Parvi mature 90.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 351 times ]
File comment: A mature culm of parvifolia measuring 3.5". I think with proper nutrition and enough time 4" culms may be possible.
Parvi 3.5.JPG
Parvi 3.5.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 351 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:54 pm 

Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Looks great David! I have a smaller patch in North CA that I'll be culling if someone nearby wants to dig it out they can have it, right now it would be a manageable dig that would produce a few 15-20 gal divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:23 pm 

Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21 Location Details
Hey Brad,

Is your parvi not doing well?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:54 pm 

Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
It's doing fine but upon discovering how many of the Bambusa plus a couple Dendrocalamus I can grow well here, I'm finding them more interesting to grow and less of an issue when I sell and move on. I have quite a few Phyllostachys and a couple rare ones but I think I'll cull most of them. Hopefully someone nearby with more space would like them.