Pineapple

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: RE: Pineapple

Post by Alan_L »

boonut wrote:My dad grows Papaya and bananas in Brandenburg, KY. When it gets down near freezing the first time, he digs them up and wraps them in newspaper and puts them in the garage or other area until next year. They do just fine.
More details please! Do the plants go dormant? Is there any light in the garage? Does he water them ever?
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Pineapple

Post by boonut »

I don't think he waters them all winter. He does cut back the leaves to just a couple... on both plants. They go dormant. The papaya especially does NOT like to be over watered. It will go mushy and die. I think they are even in the dark... for the most part.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

With the smaller papaya, he puts them in barrels on wheels and drags them into the garage.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Thanks for the info. I may try this sometime. Not that I have ever eaten a papaya. Or have any room in my garage for that matter. :wink:
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Pineapple

Post by foxd »

Sounds like good information to know on the Papaya. I have one left that was upstairs since it was the runt of the seedlings.

The pineapple top is now starting to put out roots. :wav:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Mark_NoVA
Location info: 0

Post by Mark_NoVA »

I was just reading about this on another forum. A couple of folks said to cut the top off, before you refrigerate it, and to let it dry for a day or two (or it might have rotting problems). One also cleans the edible pineapple off and takes off the bottom few leaves. Supposedly, can grow edible pineapples in 5g containers, takes 2 years.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Yes, that is pretty much what I read. I probably didn't clean enough of the fruit off because I was unsure where the roots were going to emerge from. I will see if it survives.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I so not cut the top off I twist it off, seems to work better that way.
MarCat
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

i cut the top off and stick it in the ground. never had one fail to root.
cant vouch for bigger faster or better, but i dont think they die easily.
"Plants are people just like us"
foxd

Post by foxd »

I planted the pineapple top in soil this evening. At this point the remains of the fruit were rather mushy and all of it came off easily. The roots were really growing in the past 24 hours.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The Pineapple is still alive and has started to produce a flower and/or fruit. :D
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Do not forget to protect it from critters...I repeat everthing loves vine rippen pineapple EVERYTHING>
MarCat
foxd

Post by foxd »

marcat wrote:Do not forget to protect it from critters...I repeat everthing loves vine rippen pineapple EVERYTHING>
At the moment it is in the basement, but it will go out on the deck when the weather warms. And yes, critter protection will be installed.

Hmmm...I do let one of the cats in the basement. Hopefully he doesn't have a taste for pineapple. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

benboo
Location info: 0

Post by benboo »

if my dog grazes on bamboo leaves, would a cat eat pineapple?
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:if my dog grazes on bamboo leaves, would a cat eat pineapple?
I know the cat grazes on bamboo leaves, not sure about the pineapple though.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.