Pineapple

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Pineapple

Post by boonut »

Pineapple also looks good this time of year. New crop for Feb. 14, 2009.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mr.mike
Location info: 0

RE: Pineapple

Post by mr.mike »

I've tried a few over the years (but not for quite a while now) but the fruit never got bigger than my fist so I gave up. Cool looking plant though, kind of like a thin leafed dark green aloe plant.

mike
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

I'm sure it would be different if you lived nearby, but I found the smell of pineapple fields in Hawaii refreshing....
Rick
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

My wife takes the tops of the pineapples we eat and plants them. They do fairly well. Most are about 3/4 the size of the ones you get in the store. She just keeps adding to the collection. They have pups... and it keeps growing.

This is more her project... but, they do taste great. We don't do a lot other than plant and water from time to time.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

Latest pineapple pics April 5, 2009

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

That is really cool. Fresh pineapple must be to die for.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

my fruits never get anywhere near the size of store-bought but they are tasty.
"Plants are people just like us"
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

A friend gave me a pineapple plant a few years ago and I kept waiting and waiting for a pineapple to grow. Then after a few years I got a pineapple growing and I kept watching and watching it. And as the days were getting closer for me to pluck the little bugger, when I went to look at it one morning some vermin had beaten me to it. Eating the whole thing and just left me with a stem. Probably a possum dined on it.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

I think this video says it all about that dam opossum.

Caution if your a critter lover DO NOT OPEN VIDEO LINK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8cCh2o6tlo
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

If you grow pineapple heed Roy's warning everything and I mean everything likes "Vine ripened" Pineapple. I cage mine when they get close to ripening. Smaller they may be but they taste better than anything you can buy at the store.
MarCat
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I got a pineapple top a week ago and I'm trying to get it to root. So I was pleasantly surprised to see the topic show up.

Any idea what the lower temperature tolerance is for pineapple plants? I found out that Papaya and Monkey Pod Trees don't like extended periods near 50°F. In other words, will they survive the basement?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

in exposed areas freezing temps will kill them but my main patch under oak canopy survived upper 20s without damage.
"Plants are people just like us"
boonut

Post by boonut »

We grow our plants in 75 gallon pots... and they stay outside year around. No signs of stress yet.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Re: RE: Pineapple

Post by boonut »

foxd wrote:I got a pineapple top a week ago and I'm trying to get it to root. So I was pleasantly surprised to see the topic show up.

Any idea what the lower temperature tolerance is for pineapple plants? I found out that Papaya and Monkey Pod Trees don't like extended periods near 50°F. In other words, will they survive the basement?
My dad grows Papaya and bananas in Brandenburg, KY. When it gets down near freezing the first time, he digs them up and wraps them in newspaper and puts them in the garage or other area until next year. They do just fine.

My papaya has been down to 27 with hardly no damage at all. It went through the freezing temps and "snow" back in 2004. Since then, no freezing temps. Here is the latest picture of my big papaya.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

By the way, that is one tree. It put out multiple branches back in 2004 after the freeze. LOTS of papaya right now... I just have to get them before the Chachalacas.

You should see me trying to get the ones at the top of the tree. The leaves are generally much larger, but this is the way they look after coming through the winter. After all the fruit goes away, the leaves will get much, much larger.

Cool plant.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm