Favorite tomato varieties?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Favorite tomato varieties?

Post by Alan_L »

It's that time of year that I have to choose which tomato plants to put into my limited space. Last year I spent more time on bamboo and other garden stuff and neglected my vegetable bed so my tomato yield was disappointing. I usually try new varieties each year, but always have at least one 'Black Krim' growing. It's not a heavy producer, but the flavor is fantastic.

What varieties do you like to grow, and why?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Favorite tomato varieties?

Post by foxd »

I have an Early Girl Tomato that I bought several years ago which has been a good producer. I plan to plant it again this year.

I'm considering getting some Beefsteak Tomato plants for variety.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

best tasting I would go with black krim or yellow brandywine. Celebrity is my favorite hybrid though
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I never grow tomatoes in the ground any more. Started growing them in #10 nursery pots they seem to produce a heck of alot better that way. Even tried cantalope that way with some succsess. Need to try some Black Krim.
Have you ever checked out "Totally Tomatoes" they sell everything related to tomatoes.
MarCat
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I had a couple in pots last year and wasn't too happy with the results. Perhaps I didn't tend to them enough. Do you have to choose varieties carefully when growing in pots? Fertilize more? Watering more is definitely needed as I saw last year.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

i have good luck with tomatoes in pots. yes they do need lots of water and fertilizer.
look up 'cross country nursery'. they have a great variety to choose from. the bad is that because of late freezes they can never ship plants to me til the middle of april which is too late here.
"Plants are people just like us"
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

anyone ever tried the vinson watts?
"Plants are people just like us"
Case

Post by Case »

Well I never have grown tomatos in the past but I wanted to give it a try.

I have planted a Beefmaster hybrid and Yellow Boy hybrid in strawbales, one each in their own bale. I also planted a hybrid cherry in a five gallon bucket. They are all doing very well so far, I am excited to see how everything turns out.
marcat

Post by marcat »

For best production #10 pots are better than 5's and yes you need to watch their watering closer than when they are in the ground.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I use 15 gallon here.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

Steve you are just greedy. Tens have worked fine for me but this year I am trying Crimmson Sweet watermelons in a 45. Usually use 15's forIce box melons but couldn't find any when I was planting. Going to need to fence all the melon pots this year ain't going to let the Coon's beat me to them as has happened in the past.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I am getting a little deer damage at the farm this year. Eatting on a few plants.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

Yikes they eating on the Boo? Not good if they get taste for the bamboo.
MarCat