Polygonum multiflorum?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Polygonum multiflorum?

Post by bamboothew »

Has anyone here grown this vine/chinese herb, also known as fo ti? Just wondering how vigorous/aggressive it is. Its look reminds me a little of Pothos or Philodendren houseplants I have grown in the past but it is listed as hardy to zone 7. I got some from ebay and planted it with intentions of letting it climb a tree. I have lately become very interested in vines and ivies, as they are another class of beautiful plants that seems to be underused around here. Mostly what one sees in this area are english ivy, wild grapevines and wisteria, but I am interested in anything different. So far I have planted the fo ti, silver lace vine, and boston ivy. The fo ti is the only one I can't seem to find much information about. The discussions here about hardy kiwi vine and hops are also intriguing, may be forced to consider those too!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
bamboothew

Re: Polygonum multiflorum?

Post by bamboothew »

I can see already that this plant is extremely vigorous. So far it is outpacing the silver lace vine by a wide margin in a fairly dry shady environment, so it seems like a good potential companion plant for bamboo. Can't wait to see what it does when the weather is consistently warm!
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

This plant is extremely vigorous and I have more recently found out that its leaves are highly edible as a spinach substitute, so I tried a few leaves and found the taste to be much like spinach, quite aggreeable as a salad green. Also found out that it will quickly cover small bamboos and wind around the branches, closing the bamboos' leaves, so care must be taken with companion planting. Something interesting is that I see it listed as a deciduous vine, yet I haven't even seen leaf damage at 22f, so perhaps it is evergreen at least to zone 8 or 9. Plant's tuberous root is reported to have many health benefits and also to cure baldness, but my major plan for it is for ornament (it has typical fleece-flower type blooms and dark green leaves) and edible leaves.
God Bless,

Matthew

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Ive been getting into vines as well. You have the luck of having a good climate for tons of cool ones. Ill suggest a few if your interested (I do not reconize the p mulitlorum though :( )

Any passiflora
Clematis aarmandi (evergreen with long pointed leaves!)

"Dutchmans pipe" - There is one type native all the way up here! I do believe there is 2 or 3 kinds there!

kiwi - If your in zone 7 they should survive NO problem. I have never seen kiwi descibed higher then that. The real difference between the hardy kiwi, and "normal", is that the hardy varieties are small, hairless, and are eaten like grapes! Im not sure if theyll take the heat/humidity there... I dont know enough about them yet!

Climbing hydrangea - Can take FULL shade or full sun! They use the roots to cling to any surface, and can climb up to 80 feet! They take a few years to establish, but once they do they can grow quite well.

Monstera - Yes. A buddy of mine lives in NC, and they survived, unprotected for years. They didnt get any real size (they died down over the winter), And they arent living to their full potential, but in the proper place where you are you may be able to get some decent size out of them. If you are warmer then fayetteville NC, I would give it a try... You never know!

Mandevella (sp) - are said to survive zone 8. They should die down for the winter there, but should come back every year no problem.

If i can think of any more, Ill add them to this thread.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks for the suggestions! I have thought of some of those but didn't know about others. The climbing hydrangea I got last year and it is indeed SLOW to get started but it is still alive. Also been thinking about the Dutchman's Pipe and one called Crossvine, Bignonia capreolata. Another good one that is native is Campsis radicans, supposedly very invasive but it doesn't seem to be here. Also have some Passiflora seeds a friend gave me that I am going to try. I planted 2 Silverlace Vines last year and they apparently died, not sure how I accomplished that since they are said to be nearly invincible :)
God Bless,

Matthew

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Climbing hydrangea can take 2 - 5 years to establish. So, dont hold your breath for next year. Once they take of, they really take off!

As for the passiflora, do you know if it is incarnata? Also a tip. The seeds germinate better left in the fruit over he winter outside (have fun doing that with wildlife). The next best thing, is to soak them in orange juice, the more pure the better, for a few days. Apparently the rancid orange juice simulates the rotting fruit, and the compounds help brake dormancy. Clean them off with warm water and steralize them, then soak them in water for a few more days. Sow them in pots, cover them, and stratify them for 3 months. Expose them to spring temps, and leave them outside all season. IF they dont germinate, repeat the startifying process, they should pop next year.

Also, dont expect great germination rates. I had fresh seed, and out of 20 seeds, 5 germinated. I would at least stratify them until spring comes. They are "easy", following proper cold temps. Also, they love heat (germination and subsequent growth!).

Im trying to find campsis seeds. Its regularly rated to zone 4 (which I am in!), and I cant say I have seen them anywhere.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

canadianplant wrote:Climbing hydrangea can take 2 - 5 years to establish. So, dont hold your breath for next year. Once they take of, they really take off!

As for the passiflora, do you know if it is incarnata? Also a tip. The seeds germinate better left in the fruit over he winter outside (have fun doing that with wildlife). The next best thing, is to soak them in orange juice, the more pure the better, for a few days. Apparently the rancid orange juice simulates the rotting fruit, and the compounds help brake dormancy. Clean them off with warm water and steralize them, then soak them in water for a few more days. Sow them in pots, cover them, and stratify them for 3 months. Expose them to spring temps, and leave them outside all season. IF they dont germinate, repeat the startifying process, they should pop next year.

Also, dont expect great germination rates. I had fresh seed, and out of 20 seeds, 5 germinated. I would at least stratify them until spring comes. They are "easy", following proper cold temps. Also, they love heat (germination and subsequent growth!).

Im trying to find campsis seeds. Its regularly rated to zone 4 (which I am in!), and I cant say I have seen them anywhere.
Not sure exactly which one it is, but I know the plant my fruits came from is hardy here. I didn't realize it was necessary but the whole fruits have been rotting outside in a bucket all winter :) Thanks for the germination advice, I'm not always so great with seeds, that's why if I ever have any bamboos flower I will likely be shipping them all over to let everyone else try to grow them :)
God Bless,

Matthew

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

The only other passiflora that needs stratification, is P Cerulea, but they all will benefit from the orange juice or letting them rot a bit. I think its usually described as "very over ripe fruit". IT isnt "nessasary", you could just use citrus juice :D

Good luck!
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

If anyone is interested in a Polygonum multiflorum let me know. I have one grown from cutting in the fall, grew it as insurance against mine dying out over the winter but mine hasn't even lost its leaves :) It is a rare plant in the US and supposedly has tonic properties if the root is used, but the leaves are very edible and delicious imo. As said before, it is a vigorous vining perennial. Will be glad to send it for actual shipping, which should be pretty cheap. Sharing does the heart good :)
God Bless,

Matthew