Invasive Plant

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Invasive Plant

Post by foxd »

I've had bamboo in my yard for many years. It was neglected and allowed to run free for many of those years before I started controlling it. The rate of spread was slow in comparison to this stuff. I didn't even notice it until last year and this year it has spread greatly. Lance, I really think it would be a bad idea to plant this stuff. True, many plants have undiscovered virtues, but there are plants that just don't have much in the way of virtues.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Plants perform differently in diverse environments. A Norway maple is considered 'weedy' here in the Northeast versus 'not weedy' in the West.
It's all about location, location, location. You can't judge a plant by it's growth pattern in one area :idea: Lance's environment is definately different then most of ours. I know gardeners who have been trying to get rid of bindweed for years and have tried everything from chemicals to sterilization of all soil to excavation and still have problems with the stuff.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I've had experience with bindweed too. The time I hadn't been in the basement for a while and walked down there to find one wall covered with it. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Re: RE: Invasive Plant

Post by CadyG »

foxd wrote:I've had experience with bindweed too. The time I hadn't been in the basement for a while and walked down there to find one wall covered with it. :shock:
Bindweed?! Let us not speak that cursed name on this forum! I have a stretch of garden bed that came with an infestation of bindweed, and after 12 years I have not made a dent in eradicating it.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Cady, my condolescences. :( That stuff is terrible. I have been waging :evil: war with Houtynnia cordata for years now in one area. I planted bamboos to combat it. Roundup just made it stronger and stronger. :cry:
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I have Houtanniya too, but it has been much easier to control than bindweed. In fact, it's well-behaved because it's planted in little "oasis" pockets surrounded by more hostile terrain -- rock. So, it is naturally contained. The bindweed, on the other hand, has full rein - and reign - in a well-tilled flowerbed. Grrrr. :evil:
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

L K, if you are bent on getting this plant you might at least consider the cultivar 'Crimson Beauty' which PDN claims is distinguishable from the "weedy" species. Somebody is selling it on ebay right now and they appear to have a fairly good record though I didn't go into it that closely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crimson-Beauty-Mexi ... dZViewItem

Incidentally, someone is also selling a large Mexican Weeping Bamboo as well. Some nice pics of that.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

'crimson beauty' has been put in my collection this spring. From the pics circulating, looks like it could be, a quite spendid addition. 8)