Corsican Mint ok Understory (on ground under)Yellow Groove?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Hermgruf
Location info: 0

Corsican Mint ok Understory (on ground under)Yellow Groove?

Post by Hermgruf »

Does anyone know if planting Corsican Mint on the ground under Yellow Groove Bamboo is ok?
Are they compatible?
If not, does anyone have a nice suggestion for plantings under a grove?

Thanks in advance.
GrowingHabit

Re: Corsican Mint ok Understory (on ground under)Yellow Groo

Post by GrowingHabit »

The only trouble with any ground cover under bamboo, is the damage you'll do to it horking out rhizomes. Eventually, there will be rhizome digging to do. Then you have to wait for ground cover to fill back in where you stomped around and threw dirt about and generally lost your temper. Or is that last bit just me...? If you have supreme patience and good intentions, you'll methodically dig up patches of ground cover, lay them aside tenderly, and water them just enough- not too much! before turning to the real digging. Then when you are defeated and mad and exhausted, you'll see those innocent little ground covers sitting there quietly, and you'll bash their smug little leaves in with the back of the shovel before you call it a day.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

GrowingHabit wrote:... you'll bash their smug little leaves in with the back of the shovel before you call it a day.
:lol:
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Why will there eventually be rhizome digging to do?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

First cause generally arrives with a lack of information, or the experience to fully grasp the information if preparatory research was conducted, leading to poor site selection.

Second cause is often a result of plant lust. Lust induces over-collection of specimens, and generally lust arrives ahead of knowledge, so we're back to a subset within first cause. Second cause may sometimes involve species disentanglement, or simply derive from a desire to propagate a beloved specimen over as much locale as quickly as possible.

Third cause is typically the haunt of the more seasoned gardener: Those who look around themselves and see potential, or just overcrowding, and desire to send bursting pots of propagules out into the greater world, to cause others to have to dig... rhizomes.
Hermgruf

Post by Hermgruf »

Thank you for the replies.

Not sure if this info will change the interesting responses but....

The bamboo in question is freshly transplanted phyllostachys aureosulcata to a confined in a 3'x8' (HDPE lined down to 36") bed.

There was some corsican mint in need of transplant in the yard and I wanted to "soften" the edges of the 6" ht. raised frame of the bed. The mint trails a bit and it was free (transplant) in same yard, so I thought what the heck. But my main concern is the health/vitality of the "newly transplanted" bamboo. And also concerned for the long term "health" of the bamboo. I'm only thinking of adding a few small sections of the mint and letting do as nature allows...(and willing to let dropped bamboo leaves sit/mulch in place)...

I'm quite happy to rip/tear at the groundcover to deal with rhyzomes at a later date. Now a new question, will I be digging/ripping at rhyzomes in the next 5 yrs? (ugh, so much to learn)

Groundcover is a secondary aesthetic in this setting, just wondered if it was ok.
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

All joshing aside- my round-about point was that there isn't anything I know of that a person would plant as a ground cover, that could remotely impact or hurt or impede a bamboo. You'll be fine and I think it would look lovely. My personal favorite under bamboo is hardy plumbago.