Variegated Tomato

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Variegated Tomato

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

I was out at the Farmer's market today, picking up some vegetable plants. I found a 6pack of Cherokee Purple tomatoes with one variegated plant in it. A quick google search when I got home showed me that there are one (or two?) variegated tomatoes out there. But from what I found they have small fruit. Cherokee Purple is a larger fruit with, of course, the darker flesh. I hope I can grow more from seed, and start a new heirloom strain.

fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Variegated Tomato

Post by fredgpops »

Bought several interesting tomato plants from Love Apple Farm. My nights are very cool - they are local and have made available plants that do well in northern Europe with similar night temps. Several plants produce in 55 days. I am potting my plants in 15 gal pots on my deck. I'll update later. Check Love Apple out - serious and specialized folks - rgds

Last year I spent a mint buying a large variety of heirloom tomatoes. This year I just wanted some six packs to keep the price low and hopefully get some more reliable yields. I have a history of looking for (and finding) variegates, but I've kind of moved away from that. But when I was standing at this table full of tomato plants, I thought to myself "What if I found a variegated tomato?" Then, I just looked down and it was there. Strange! I'm happy to be growing something a little unusual in the vegetable garden this year. Cherokee Purple was one of the better producing heirlooms that I tried last year, too.

How Weird! I was just sitting in front of the tv just now after posting that last bit and an episode of House Hunters came on and the couple was from Los Gatos. The woman talked about taking vegetable classes at Love Apple Farm, and they even showed the sign for the nursery. I had to rewind just to make sure I wasn't crazy. :lol:
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Love Apple Farm charged 4 bucks a plant plus a free plant if you purchased 3. Hard to believe anyone has the variety that they have. Have 5 varieties potted on my deck. If you thrive on the unusual, check these guys out. Rgds

I've been in contact with "nctomatoman", Craig LeHoullier, who introduced the Cherokee Purple and several other varieties of tomato. He's going to be growing out the seed that I collect from the fruits of my variegated plant. What the results will be is kind of unpredictable, but I'm hoping that since there is another heirloom tomato that comes variegated from seed, mine will too. Time will tell...