Curing Kennebec potatoes

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Curing Kennebec potatoes

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

We just harvested our first crop of potatoes; they are Kennebec.

We'd like to save some of them through the winter, but we're not sure how to cure them.

Does anyone have experience curing potatoes?

jp
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Curing Kennebec potatoes

Post by johnw »

I have been in plenty potatoe storage houses in Prince Edward Island. They are gigantic and require blowers going full tilt the winter long to reduce the heat stored in the huge piles.

Given what I have seen the potatoes are dusted off (by hand in your case with say a cotton mitt) and certainly not washed. Temps at 2-8c would be ideal, medium humidity and darkness for sure. Heavy paper bags work for us, the ones they come in if buying 50lb bags but never plastic.

johnw
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Thanks for your reply!

We have read about the temp and humidity requirements, but wondered how folks manage that at home. We don't have a root cellar or anywhere that is high humidity and lower temps.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

We are lucky to have a cold room that doesn't freeze. I do know folks here who store them in a styro box buried down 2ft and then cover with soil and straw till spring. For all the hassle it might be easier just to buy more in the spring.

One we got last winter was superb - a Scottish potatoe called Vales Sovereign. It was in the supermarkets for a month and we never saw them again. They were from PEI and I intend to try to find some when I'm over there next month.

johnw
johnw coastal Nova Scotia