Fall color- last blooms?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Samajax
Location info: 0

Fall color- last blooms?

Post by Samajax »

This plant, Mexican Turks Cap (Malvaviscus arboreus var. mexicanus) is the star of any late fall garden. The blooms are bigger than the native version, but it is not freeze hardy. In a normal winter, these freeze to the ground and grow to about 5' by the end of the season.

This is a collection of about four plants, that due to last years mild winter, are around 8' tall and covered with blooms.
Front resized.jpg
turks cap resized.jpg
turks cap resized 3.jpg
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Fall color- last blooms?

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here are some of the dahlias. It looks like during fall, the blooms get even more impressive than when they first start out.

JWH

Post by JWH »

This is probably one of my last blooms and prettiest IMO. From a very late planted bag of assorted gladiolus corms.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Yesterday.

Callicarpa dichotoma.
Attachments
Callicarpa dichotoma Kingstec IMG-20131025-00514.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
johnw

Post by johnw »

Acer palmatum 'Koto-No -Ito' today. Along with Acer palmatum 'Ozakazuki' and Rhododendron roxieanum Oreonastes.
Attachments
Rhododendron roxieanum Oreonastes IMG-20131108-00597.jpg
Acer palmatum Ozakazuki IMG-20131108-00596.jpg
Acer palmatum Koto No Ito IMG-20131108-00589.jpg
Acer palmatum Koto No Ito IMG-20131108-00588.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I love that tree! Probably can't take our heat and humidity in the summer I'm guessing... all of the "best" japanese maples can't it seems. I'm certainly going to check into it though -- thanks for posting the photos!
JWH

Post by JWH »

Very nice japanese maples!

I got a couple pics of my 'Seiryu' japanese maple. I Wish I could have gotten some more autumn leaf pics in general, but a windstorm came through a few days ago and blew them all away, right at the peak of color! :P

Before the windstorm:

The last cluster of leaves left after:

Acer palmatum 'scolopendrifolium' not quite at peak color before windstorm, completely leafless after.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - Japan is certainly hot and steamy in the summer so don't know why Japanese maples wouldn't do for you. What they really hate is prolonged drought, also wind combined with a big drop in humidity. As youngsters a drought followed by autumn rains can caused them to lose dormancy and result in bark-split through the winter so some irrigation is advisable for young one. We can grow them in full sun but partial shade or morning sun might be best there, especially these thread leaf ones can incinerate in a flash. Our problem are these long stretches of foggy weather, then one day the sun appears and humidity drops and some can get burnt, oddly the reds more so than the threads and white-leafed ones.

JWH - I was quite surprised to see these trees fully clothed in leaves as we've had two bad wind storms - one to 90k/hr. - in the past week both with huge driving rains. Might be necause we haven't really have a serious frost yet on the immediate coast.

johnw
johnw

Post by johnw »

AlanB - re: Japanese Maples

Start with Ozakazuki - a superb cultivar - as it's the toughest and work up from there.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

They are deer chow around here Alan, a few nibbles and the shape is lost so you'll need to stay on top of that.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw

Post by johnw »

Good point Brad and to that I'll add:

I was of course speaking of the city, in the countryside voles will eat young Japanse maples into a heap of toothpicks. Rabbits will girdle the bark so tree guards are recommended. Deer will smash and eat too. Not much else left. How any outside the city make it is beyond comprehension.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I have two in-ground japanese maples planted in 2006 that I've not seen anything touch. They're not in the main deer path, but they walk past them all the time. I also have several in pots in various places (again, not in main deer paths) that haven't had problems.

I wonder if it's like bamboo shoots: you're fine until something develops a taste for them.

Thanks for the warning though, as it's one of the reasons they're in pots and not yet in the ground.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Here are some pictures last week.
Attachments
The semi arundainarias have nice fall color in the form of 40% bright yellow leaves
The semi arundainarias have nice fall color in the form of 40% bright yellow leaves
Pond is low, cattails turning yellow, except the new shoots the deer just ate
Pond is low, cattails turning yellow, except the new shoots the deer just ate
Red threadleaf drawf maple.  Turned from its usual purple red to bright red last week, now is purple again but leaves have shriveled.
Red threadleaf drawf maple. Turned from its usual purple red to bright red last week, now is purple again but leaves have shriveled.
johnw

Post by johnw »

dp - In that last photo I see a Montauck daisy. Do they ever set seed? Just wondering as they flower so late here I have never thought they would.

Here's one at a friend's right in Peggy's Cove where the wind howls non-stop and it doesn't seem to mind a bit. Photo from 22 Oct 2009.
Attachments
Nipponanthemum (Leucanthemum) nipponicum - Beale - DSCF4637.JPG