When do ginseng plants usually come up? Ginseng ID

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

When do ginseng plants usually come up? Ginseng ID

Post by stevelau1911 »

I planted a lot of ginseng seeds as well as some roots last fall as I found out that ginseng are supposed to do well in my climate. I've been anxiously waiting for the first sprout to come up, and it may have appeared today. I do have a bunch of tree peony seedlings that started sprouting in the last few days, but 1 seedling looks kind of similar, but not quite the same so I'm thinking, could this be ginseng? It appears to have 6 leaflets, and maybe a bit smaller than a 1st year tree peony seedling.

The problem is that I also have tree peony seeds planted in the same area here, so can anyone tell if this is indeed a ginseng seedling?
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: When do ginseng plants usually come up? Ginseng ID

Post by needmore »

I used to grow it and dig it some in the woods around here and know what it looks like but you'll need to wait until after the leaves uncurl. There will be a single main stem that branches out as I recall the youngsters look slightly different, the leaves will be serrated I believe. Probably too early for it there Steve.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Don't know much about ginseng....
But if you can't identify a tree peony seedling, how are any of us supposed to? :lol:
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The stem part of it does look just like a tree peony, but the leaf is completely different. If it is indeed a tree peony, then it will likely turn out to be much different from all the tree peonies I have germinated in the past. All species of tree peonies that I have germinated have started out with entire leaves, not a leaf with multiple leaflets. I guess I'll have to wait until May to see if it is truly a ginseng.

Here are some normal looking tree peonies also from 2013 generation.

Needmore, if you used to grow them, how come not anymore? Since you have so many groves of bamboo to provide shade, you could probably grow lots of ginseng in your walk through groves.
needmore

Post by needmore »

My previous property - 2 properties ago - had a fair amount transplanted there and I added more of it plus golden seal from the surrounding woods. I followed a 'take only 1 out of 10 you find' rule so did not amass a large collection. Popularity on the price roots bring led to a great purging of it by tresspassers in this area (no 1 of 10 rule for them) and now it is hard to find anymore, as usual seeds are slow for me to deal with. Only supposed to be dug when dormant in the fall/early winter there is a time when the bright yellow leaves are earlier than other woodland plants so it is easy to spot in late Aug - bright yellow among green - and folks just ravaged it for cash.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Here is the smallest ginsing seedling i could find in google:

No red stem, and the stem on ginsing is way smaller. Seeds usually take 2 years to germinate so, dont be surprised if you dont see any till next spring.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

That seedling turned out to just be a weed, but now I know what a ginseng seedling looks like as they have been coming up since last week.

Here's how they look from above.

3 prong seedlings

2 prong seedlings

1 prong seedlings

Some of the ones just emerging today.

Ginseng definitely looks nothing like peonies, and they emerge about a month later too. Here are some 2nd year peonies for the comparison.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Sorry steve, what is comming up looks like marijuana....

Ok I kid, I kid.... glad they came up! I tried some last year, and had nothing. I dumped the soil in an area under a tree, and i have a feeling im going to see some ginsing seedlings......

You grow the "native ginger"?
needmore

Post by needmore »

There you go, that's ginseng for sure. Transplanted some native ginger up next to the house and it is doing well a great plant to have.