Weird Weed

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Weird Weed

Post by foxd »

I have had this weed growing in a pot with the remains of a pineapple plant. It has been slow growing and I keep looking at trying to figure out what it is. Any ideas anyone?
Attachments
weirdweed.jpg
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
JWH
Location info: 0

Re: Weird Weed

Post by JWH »

Maybe a fern of some kind?
foxd

Post by foxd »

JWH wrote:Maybe a fern of some kind?
That was my thought when it first showed up, but there is now a stem and the leaves don't quite look "ferny" to me.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Apple pine.

Are these leaves part of one leaf or are they growing one by one? I've seen similar fern-like thingie, but it seems it has long stem. Wait and see, I guess.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Tarzanus wrote:Apple pine.

Are these leaves part of one leaf or are they growing one by one? I've seen similar fern-like thingie, but it seems it has long stem. Wait and see, I guess.
Some of the leaves are fused together, some are not. I'm trying to decide if I should move it to a new pot and give it more light in case it turns out to be something I want. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I've now moved it to a small pot and am giving it more light. It it now putting up a new shoot which is unrolling in a fernlike manner.

There is a fern that is native to Ohio that grows like a vine. Weird!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm tenatively identifying it as some sort of Lygodium. Not sure if it is an import or the native one though.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Definitely a fern of some type. I will try and post a picture since it looks a whole lot different now. Meanwhile, several other things have sprouted in the pot, a shoot off the Pineapple and what I suspect if a Cypress Vine..
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Finally got around to taking some pictures or it. Does anybody recognize this fern?
fern1.jpg
Close-up picture of one of the fronds.
Fern2.jpg
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Wow, doesn't really look like fern. Perhaps fern that is a couple of millions age old. Photo from bit more distant position might be in place.
Are you sure it's fern? Does it unfold each "leaf" the way other ferns do it? At least around here, I haven't seen anything quite like it.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Tarzanus wrote:Wow, doesn't really look like fern. Perhaps fern that is a couple of millions age old. Photo from bit more distant position might be in place.
Are you sure it's fern? Does it unfold each "leaf" the way other ferns do it? At least around here, I haven't seen anything quite like it.
Yes, the fronds unfurl like other ferns do. Some of the fronds have a brown border which I am pretty sure are sporangia.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Could it be Asplenium rhizophyllum -Walking fern. I'm not sure about it's weird appearance with small and not really symmetric fronds. It does seem it's one of Asplenium ferns tho.
foxd

Post by foxd »

It doesn't match the description of Asplenium rhizophyllum. I'm thinking it might be some species of Lygodium.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I think I have a possible ID on the fern: Lygodium articulatum. I'm not 100% sure, but the "leaf" shape is right.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm still researching this from time to time. Fronds are getting longer and it looks like it is starting to change the leaf shape. This combined with what appears to be a lot of mis-identification of the various Lygodium species on websites is making things difficult. I'm hoping it turns out to be the native species rather than one of the invasive ones.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.