Fig survives brutal winter in zone 4

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

canadianplant
Location info: 0

Fig survives brutal winter in zone 4

Post by canadianplant »

I always have a habit of pushing what I can grow. I have read reports of figs surviving outdoors in zone 5 and a very small number of zone 4 so I decided to try.

My first plant died its first winter, but the following season superstore was selling three foot fig trees for ten bucks. I bought two, kept one indoors and planted one. Before the winter I bent all the branches down and pegged them. I mounted leaves on top and put an old was basin on top of that, and then poured leaves around it.

In the spring there was actual little dead wood so I left it alone. Now the longest shoot is roughly 5 inches long of new growth since pushing buds a month ago. Here is a pic from yesterday.

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Fig survives brutal winter in zone 4

Post by foxd »

It looks like the second brutal Winter in a row finally killed my Figs.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

The winter of Feb 1993 got my Brown Turkey here. It was espaliered against an east stone wall for 10 years or more but -23/4c killed it outright here in Z6. Never had a fig off it but props in a tub produced 2-3 crops a year IF the summer was decent and that wasn't very often.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore

Post by needmore »

Wow, I just realized that I can start to think differently about growing things like figs. Now I need to know what can take a dry z9 California heat.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

needmore wrote:Wow, I just realized that I can start to think differently about growing things like figs. Now I need to know what can take a dry z9 California heat.

I can help you out there . I work at the largest tree and shrub Nursery in Northern California
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:
needmore wrote:Wow, I just realized that I can start to think differently about growing things like figs. Now I need to know what can take a dry z9 California heat.

I can help you out there . I work at the largest tree and shrub Nursery in Northern California

Sounds great, as soon as I buy I want to plant immediately to get going again!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I just noticed yesterday that one of the figs is back. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.