Mahonia 'Soft Touch'- I think I'm in love. And Weigela.

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Mahonia 'Soft Touch'- I think I'm in love. And Weigela.

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

So, today I was at Lowe's. Lord help me- I can NOT afford a single additional plant this year!
However, I found a big Weigela marked down to $3 bucks. Although it looked scraggly as all get out and I know zilch about Weigela except how nice they look in the spring as I drive by, there were lots of little sprouts around the center of the plant and the tips of the long branches were green. I'm taking a stab in the dark and feeling like this will be an easy plant to rejuvenate. Any suggestions? I could look it up, but heck- asking a bunch of bamboo maniacs is so much more fun.

Another section had plants in very decent shape at 50% off. I admired the Pieris and then the Leather leaf Mahonia, reminiscing about the one I had planted several years ago when I had more acreage, more money, and was on a quest to acquire a plant of every shape, size, color, and texture under the sun. As I brushed away my longings for yesteryear :lol: and was given a sharp prick in the finger in thanks, I spotted a most unusual plant 3 or 4 aisles over. Even though I was just about to faint away in the 90 degree heat and was basically ready to leave, I had to go examine it.

Ironically, it was another Mahonia. Mahonia 'Soft Touch'. I am in awe. Do a google image search. It has a delicate, almost bamboo-like texture. The leaves aren't thick and leathery like the Oregon Grape Holly. This made me question whether it too would be evergreen. I scoured the tag for that bit of information. Luckily, it wasn't to be found or I would have shoved it under my shirt and made a mad dash for it. Come to find out, it is! An awesome, evergreen, bamboo-like plant that works in shade or part-shade. I reasoned that such a beautiful plant would be available in seasons to come. Looking it up it looks like it won Top Prize at the RHS's Chelsea flower show a year or two back. I will definitely be buying this next year, extending my bamboo theme into the shadiest parts of my property. Check it out!
JWH

Re: Mahonia 'Soft Touch'- I think I'm in love. And Weigela.

Post by JWH »

Sorry I also know zilch about Weigela!

But man! That Mahonia is drop dead gorgeous! So much prettier than the native dwarf oregon grape that grows all over my woods! Very palm-esque looking to my eye! Must add it to my already too long plant wish list...thanks! :P

I'm glad someone else shares my enthusiasm about this plant! I just wish it got a bit bigger. And it could be a tad hardier for the sake of security.
JWH

Post by JWH »

Definitely going to be looking for one the next time I'm at Lowes! Along with a 'Lemon Lace' elderberry!

I found a good deal on a 'sutherland gold' elderberry last year, it's getting pretty big this year! It looks great planted near or under a tall bamboo...to me anyway!

Yeah, Sambucus is pretty cool. I planted some at a property 9 or 10 years ago. A dark leafed one and I think a gold foliaged one as well. Don't remember the cultivar names. I think I just moved before they had a chance to do much. Or, maybe they didn't like where I put them? Don't remember the specifics, but I never got to see what they could really become.

Have you seen the Mulberry 'Nuclear Blast'? That's an interesting plant as well. A little on the weird side. :alien:
JWH

Post by JWH »

Wow yeah! That mulberry has the weird factor!

I like weird plants though, Just recently bought a Hydrangea Macrophylla 'Pistachio'. I HAD to have it as soon as I laid eyes on it!
Attachments
image.jpg

I wasn't familiar with 'Pistachio'. That is a homeotic mutation. Pretty neat!

Are you familiar with with the 'Nigra' cultivar that has black stems?

So many plants, so little time and money....and acreage.
JWH

Post by JWH »

Awesome! A black stem hydrangea!

Yeah too many cool plants to grow, and not enough room or money for them all!
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I'm enthusiastic too with the Mahonia; not very enthusiastic with its hardiness rating though.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia