Hungry rodents

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Hungry rodents

Post by Tarzanus »

They say Arundo donax has a lot of cyanide in it's rhizomes and some other ingredients, among which there's also psychoactive substance. Well, because of it's natural defense, it's been said that Arundo donax is safe from most insects, rodents and larger animals that could (would) want to eat it. Until today, I believed that...

I have Arundo donax and it's variegated sibling and they both got rodent company. I could not believe my eyes, when I saw completely eaten shoot bud on first plant, then I went to the next, even more damage, third - variegated Arundo had whole cave system around and I noticed it was once part of the plant's rhizome system. I now know they come out of the soil and search for fresh shoots, then they start digging inside, all the way to the not so tasty rhizome, at that point, they search for another shoot. I'll check for poisons next time I go shopping...
Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Hungry rodents

Post by Tarzanus »

It's official, voles are to blame.

Today I've eliminated two (plain old mouse trap) and I'm sure I'll get more when weather gets just a bit colder again.