Anyone have any eperience with Hardy Kiwi?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

wolfedg
Location info: 0

Anyone have any eperience with Hardy Kiwi?

Post by wolfedg »

I made an impulse buy at a local box store the other day of a few Hardy Kiwi plants (Actinidia Arguta 'Anna' and ' Meader'). They claim to be hardy even to zone 4. I was just wondering if any of you all had any experience and or recommendations on growing these.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Anyone have any eperience with Hardy Kiwi?

Post by foxd »

wolfedg wrote:I made an impulse buy at a local box store the other day of a few Hardy Kiwi plants (Actinidia Arguta 'Anna' and ' Meader'). They claim to be hardy even to zone 4. I was just wondering if any of you all had any experience and or recommendations on growing these.
You need both male and female plants unless you get one of the varieties that has both. It will take a few years before they start producing and the vines will get quite large.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Nicholas
Location info: 0

Re: Anyone have any eperience with Hardy Kiwi?

Post by Nicholas »

I have a small actinidia arguta 'issai' (self-fertile) and ken's red as well as an actinidia deliciosa 'solo' (also self-fertile).
It will probably be another few years before they start to produce fruit.

Like foxd said you need a male and female plant.
I couln't find a lot of information on whether a self-fertile variety can also pollinate other female plants but don't really see why this should not be the case (albeit maybe be less effective).
To me that route seemed the best option as I don't want a plant that is bearing no fruit and takes up valuable garden space. They are planted right next to each other to help with potential pollination.

[edit] I just saw that 'Meader' is a male cultivar so you have both