Castor plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: Castor plants

Post by bamboothew »

I really enjoyed reading this old thread! What a beautiful and interesting plant! What prompted my reading it was that I have decided to plant some of these plants this spring. Got some very cheap seeds from ebay, supposedly harvested from this past fall so hopefully there will be good seed viability. I am wondering if anyone knows how long the seeds stay viable? There are many more than I could possibly need and I wonder if some could be saved for next year just in case for some reason I don't get any to flower this year, though I doubt that will be an issue.

Btw since I am such a huge believer in controlled carbohydrate nutrition I was thinking the leaves would make good salad greens and the seeds could be ground into a delicious nut butter, no?

Perhaps that joke needs a disclaimer...
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

:shock:

I'm not eating at your house!

We have a huge gopher problem here, and the one year I planted castor, it did keep gophers away from those plants.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Definitely not eating there either!

What variety of Castor Bean did you get? You could have saved the expense and asked here for some seeds.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Foxd, thanks, it didn't even occur to me to ask for the seeds. In fact, I had quickly bought the seeds on ebay before I even thought to search this site for a thread on the subject, had no idea it is so commonly grown. There was no variety name listed but there is supposedly a purplish cast to the leaves, anyway it isn't a dwarf type or anything so it will do what I need it to. I figure that for $3 or 50 seeds, shipping included, and I should likely have castor bean plants forever due to reseeding. Not too bad :)
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

The ones I grew last year, were from seed a few years old. Started picking the seeds out of the pods and left it in a shed, and the first 75 seeds magically disappeared, guess mice like them. :drunken:
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I actually saw a website that suggests using them as rat poison, I think it said to put a bit of peanut butter on them to encourage mice/rats to eat them. Apparently no encouragment needed, though :)
God Bless,

Matthew