Castor plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Impaler
Location info: 0

RE: Castor plants

Post by Impaler »

Does sound quite bad, but you die.
I dunno...If someone wanted me dead, and it was inevitable, I'd prefer a bullet in the head. I wouldn't want to think about days of pure hell.

JMO,
Dan
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

I have a 2 year old Castor in a 10 gallon planter... wonder will it come back or how that will work here in zone 7, NC. I have 4-5 2 footers in 1 gallon planters too.

if they freeze... they die? or will they come back?
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Castor plants

Post by foxd »

CJ_IS_HERE wrote:I have a 2 year old Castor in a 10 gallon planter... wonder will it come back or how that will work here in zone 7, NC. I have 4-5 2 footers in 1 gallon planters too.

if they freeze... they die? or will they come back?
I think in Zone 7 they will be an annual, though they may be able to come back from the roots. I have read that if they climate is warm enough they will grow into a tree.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

The one I have on the deck is nearly 6 foot. It sent out seed pods a month or so ago... had no idea what they were...until the pods dried up and popped open. I brought it inside during the cold of the 1st winter... wondering if I should do that again this years and maybe it will be strong enough to ride the chill for winter #3?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
Impaler

Post by Impaler »

I have read that if they climate is warm enough they will grow into a tree.
That they will do. I had one well over 12' tall, but it was causing problems being that overgrown, and by blocking my satellite dish :evil:

The stalk/trunk on it was around 2"dia....the leaves were 16-18" across. And it put out hundreds of beans.

Dan
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mine have been self-seeding annuals the past couple of years. The plants get whacked at the first frost but the seedlings get large so fast in 1 season - from seed to 8 feet with 1" stems in about 2 months - that I wouldn't bother to drag them indoors for the winter unless you really like the look.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

This is the 1# deadliest plant in the world, seeds are often ingested by children or pets as they are quite pretty. An intact seed passes through without many problems. a broken seed usually = death or severe damage to organs. There is NO cure for Ricin poisoning!!

Castor is followed by Datura/Brugmansia.. in Toxicity.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

CJW wrote:This is the 1# deadliest plant in the world, seeds are often ingested by children or pets as they are quite pretty. An intact seed passes through without many problems. a broken seed usually = death or severe damage to organs. There is NO cure for Ricin poisoning!!

Castor is followed by Datura/Brugmansia.. in Toxicity.
Have you looked up Rosary Pea? I found one listing that put it more toxic than Castor.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

This is the 1# deadliest animal in the world, seeds are often ingested by Joeys in pouches or earthworms from hell, as they are quite pretty
Yeah, yeah. I thought we already went through this. We aren't going to eat them. Maybe someone has dumb kids. Is that my fault. I wasn't eating castorbeans as a child, as you can see, here I am.

I mean do we need some cereal called coo-coo beans.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

lkz5ia wrote:
This is the 1# deadliest animal in the world, seeds are often ingested by Joeys in pouches or earthworms from hell, as they are quite pretty
Yeah, yeah. I thought we already went through this. We aren't going to eat them. Maybe someone has dumb kids. Is that my fault. I wasn't eating castorbeans as a child, as you can see, here I am.

I mean do we need some cereal called coo-coo beans.

lkz5ia,

Where did the "Quote" come from in the above post?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

:lol: Roy, can you catch any similarities?

My version: This is the 1# deadliest animal in the world, seeds are often ingested by Joeys in pouches or earthworms from hell, as they are quite pretty

CJW version:This is the 1# deadliest plant in the world, seeds are often ingested by children or pets as they are quite pretty

Hmm, I guess its translation issues. 8)
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

lkz5ia wrote::lol: Roy, can you catch any similarities?

My version: This is the 1# deadliest animal in the world, seeds are often ingested by Joeys in pouches or earthworms from hell, as they are quite pretty

CJW version:This is the 1# deadliest plant in the world, seeds are often ingested by children or pets as they are quite pretty

I see now. It was a quote from you. I saw "plant" in the previous posts, but I had not seen anything about animals. I thought I was missing something.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

Roy wrote:
lkz5ia wrote::lol: Roy, can you catch any similarities?

I see now. It was a quote from you. I saw "plant" in the previous posts, but I had not seen anything about animals. I thought I was missing something.
Oh, this is interesting..

---Indeed the Castor Bean is #2 not #1, but interms of commonality the Castor Bean is more likely to be found. Therefor it still is #1.
---The plant is called Rosay pea/percatory bean (Abrus Percatorious) found in the Phillipines. Yes, indeed Rosary pea is HIGHLY toxic & contains Abrin which is 75x more toxic than Ricin! It does much the same damage as Ricin only it is faster acting. Handling the seeds of this plant is also a method for poisoning.

1 seed is enough to kill
Impaler

Post by Impaler »

Hey guys,

I'd post this in the trading forum, but this subject is already going.

My father is offering seeds from his plant. It has some really nice red veins and leaves, and was a really pretty plant. I kid you not, the leaves were a deep crimson color. Let me know, and he'll send some.

Who knows, maybe the seeds will turn out a similar plant.

Later,
Dan
satx78218

Post by satx78218 »

'here was a murder years ago of some big government leader"

Cold war assassination:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2003/01/2890

Here's some pics of large purple Castor plants

San Antonio Botangical Garden:

don't know about this one: