Any idea what this plant is?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Any idea what this plant is?

Post by mantis »

My wife went to the garden store by our house, and asked if they had any bamboo. They didn't show her Lucky Bamboo (surprisingly), but instead showed her this:

She had no idea what it was, and it was only $3.99, so she bought it. I told her it looked like the lake/swamp weeds that we used to play with in Wisconsin. She didn't take kindly to that remark.

So, any idea what she bought?
BooKing
Location info: 0

RE: Any idea what this plant is?

Post by BooKing »

Horsetail rush.
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Any idea what this plant is?

Post by mantis »

BooKing wrote:Horsetail rush.
Yep, that's what we used to play with... pull them out and pop apart the sections. This plant isn't the same texture. I'll have to sneak out and pop some apart to see if that is what this actually is. My wife will kill me if she sees me pulling her new plant apart :lol:
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Sure looks like horsetail/scouring rush (Equisetum hyemale) to me. They do come in different varieties and sizes, and to make it even more interesting, they come in male and female forms which are very different. The ones in the photo are female. The male version is sort of like a 12" tall fern.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
magsc21
Zone 9a

Post by magsc21 »

Yup, it's horsetail rush. I have a big section in my yard where the rain dumps off the roof. They really like swampy conditions. Mine grow to be about 4' or 5' high, and they spread very quickly (they reproduce by means of spores which grow in the tiny cones on top of some of the plant.) They seem to attract a lot of dragonflies to my yard.

I like them a lot, they're quite architectural (a strong vertical presence, a bit like bamboo) and hard to kill if given enough water.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I think it's the swampy conditions that attract the dragonflies. The horsetails just give them something comfy to perch on. :D
Cady G.
magsc21
Zone 9a

Post by magsc21 »

Cady,
Hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. A quick Google leads me to believe that you are absolutely correct. I also found a site that suggests your swamp/pond be surrounded by light colored rocks, because dragonflies love to sun themselves. My horsetail is planted in a large bed of rocks. I guess I have the perfect combo...
-Maggie
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

Maggie,
I get dragonflies zipping in my yard even though I don't have a swamp. Just a little fish pond (4'X7') with lots of flat, light rocks plus gravel. The sun and open space attract them because they can fly without obstacles and it's warm. I love having them. So graceful and swift.

There are lots of species of dragonflies, too. Some prefer ponds/swamps and others are found in open meadows. They all have to breed in water, however, so eventually they hang around swamps and ponds. :)
Cady G.
Impaler

Post by Impaler »

Go to Caldwell in Rosenberg. Band Rd. They have bamboo.

Later,
Dan
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Any idea what this plant is?

Post by Roy »

Impaler wrote:Go to Caldwell in Rosenberg. Band Rd. They have bamboo.

Later,
Dan

http://caldwellhort.com/html/bamboo.html
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Some more info: :shock: The immature dragonflys need to climb up out of the water and they use horsetail rush, cattails, water irises,etc... as that purpose after being in the bottom of the pond for 1 yr and eating small fry. I have dozens of dragonflys buzzing around my ponds and watch them land sometimes on some Fargesia culms. I posted a pic of one in the "other" photo section. This one landed on a spruce. Wouldn't you know, when I wanted to take a pic of them on the bamboo they preferred the spruce instead. :roll: