Phy Propinqua ‘Beijing’ Flowering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

pokenei
Location info: 0

Re: Phy Propinqua ‘Beijing’ Flowering

Post by pokenei »

Curious to know how this bamboo is doing for everyone?
Did your bamboo survived flowering and recovered? Did you have viable seeds that sprouted?

I thought mine was a goner. But, I found one weakly bamboo that grew where my Moso used to grow. This spot is also overrun by my black bamboo. At first I thought it might be a surviving Moso, but the leaves are not large and look more like Nigra leaves. I then thought it might just be my Nigra showing a slight variance in that the leaves and culm are lighter in color. But as the year ended last year, all my nigras have turned black or partially at least, with this one being the only exception.
So, decided to protect it (a single one footer at that point). This year, I find one shoot shown here that looks different than the other nigra shoots. I started to rule in possible Candidates. Of all the bamboos I have/had grown from most probable to least probable: Moso, Nigra, Propinqua Beijing, the Yellow yellow-groove, Red Margin, Parvifolia, Atrovaginata.

Taken all factors into consideration, I think the most probable ID would be Propinqua Beijing. But, this one is growing about 5 feet from the spot where it died. When my Beijing flowered and died, it was a weakling. How and why would it send a survival shoot so far? Not likely. So the most plausible theory is a single seed managed germinate and survived.
Attachments
IMG_20220516_081500.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think it is juvenile Moso shoot.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Tarzanus wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:45 am I think it is juvenile Moso shoot.
I wish it was Moso. But no, the shoot is not hairy. And as I said, the leaves of the existing culm are small. Moso have large leaves even as a seedling.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Obviously I can't say what that is but juvy Moso shoots might not be hairy, I grew some from seedlings and they were not hairy for a couple years amd lots of them started out with narrow leaves that had white stripes, the stripes always faded away.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Ok, I will update in a month or two. This size shoot should end up with a culm 3 to 5 feet tall. By then, it should be distinguishable between Moso and Propinqua.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Moso shoots are not hairy in their juvenile form. They look exactly like the one one your photo. There is a way to find out if it's Moso. When the culm sheathes fall off, you can check culm if it's glossy or velvety texture. You can use magnifying glass to check for the fuzz.
Leaves on Moso in its juvenile form can be large but bot necessarily. In its adult form, leaves are smaller than average and get even smaller the second and the following season as the culms mature/age.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

My Propinqua 'Beijing' was removed a few years ago, but escaped rhizome remnants still put up thin shoots every year -- those meter-tall droopy ones. Every one of them is covered in flowers still.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello All,

My propinqua began to flower in 2015-2016, and the rhizomes are continuing to send up small flowering shoots. I pushed the entire grove down several years ago, and keep the area mowed. About three years ago I noticed a small shoot that was not flowering, and it had larger leaves than normal. It is continuing to do well. I'm thinking that it was a seedling. This year it sent up several larger shoots, and appears that it was indeed new growth. The old rhizome system continues to put up small flowering shoots.

The picture that pokenei posted looks a lot like propinqua to me, but it's really hard to ID small immature shoots.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Are you sure it was 2005/6 and not 2015/16?
That means your bamboo have been flowering for 16/17 years. That's unheard of for me. Mine flowered and died in 2 years, but I had a small specimen.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Yes, of course, 2015-2016. Lost a decade somehow. The original rhizome bed is still flowering, so its been in flower for 6-7 years
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

I left my Indiana place in summer 2015 and my Beijing had been flowering then, I was considering it to be Li Yu Gan though and not Beijing but maybe both the same plant.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

This year my plant stopped flowering and start recovery.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

wufeng wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:47 pm This year my plant stopped flowering and start recovery.
That's interesting. But, it's only June, so it may still flower later, I think.

Anyway, here are the first few leaves of the unidentified shoot. Still cannot tell if it's Propinqua Beijing or Moso.
Attachments
IMG_20220607_132853.jpg
needmore

Post by needmore »

Wouldn't Moso have large oral setae on young plants? Dunno, maybe Beijing does as well.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

These are first leaves that grow from the fresh shoot. Could be that oral setae appears on the branches a little bit later.