Golden bamboo - help! Dying?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Raymien
Location info: 0

Golden bamboo - help! Dying?

Post by Raymien »

Hi,

We planted a new mature golden bamboo around 4 weeks ago, and it doesn't seem to be doing so well. I've attached some photos, and would really appreciate some advice. I think its unhappy, and potentially dying. Am I right? What do you think is the cause?

Its a south west facing fence, and we've recently had around a week of good weather here in UK. Temperatures have ranged from 12-20 degrees, and we've had no rain. My wife and I have watered the bamboo a few times during this period. Some fish blood and bone fertiliser was put into the soil at the time of planting, and the soil is pretty well drained.

Questions does it need moving? Its fairly well sheltered, but does get a lot of sun there. Does it have disease? Under watered? Over watered? I'm really stuck here, so please help. Thank you!

ImageIMG_1910

ImageIMG_1911
Tarzanus

Re: Golden bamboo - help! Dying?

Post by Tarzanus »

Leave it alone. It will soon put out shoots that will look much better. when they leaf-out completely, you can remove these old culms and I'm sure it will look nice.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

I'm stressing out over my Dulcis for the very same reason. It looked so beautiful in the pot and now the leaves are browning and looking quite sad. I keep telling myself DON'T PANIC. It doesn't help though, and I'm still panicking ;)

You'll do just fine. It's putting all its energy into making new shoots so the plant is stealing all the energy that would otherwise be into the canes. Plus a bit of shock from leaving the pot doesn't help its looks either.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Agree they will likely look better after a season.

With newly planted bamboo, the main thing to watch is not to let it dry out, but also don't leave it soaking with wet feet.