Calendar?

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

mantis
Location info: 22

Calendar?

Post by mantis »

There are a lot of nice pictures that people have posted on here. Is there/has there been discussion of putting a calendar together?

Just a thought.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Calendar?

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:There are a lot of nice pictures that people have posted on here. Is there/has there been discussion of putting a calendar together?

Just a thought.
I saw that idea floated around somewhere, but I can't remember which bamboo forum it was on. Time frame was about a year or 2 ago.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

RE: Calendar?

Post by mantis »

Would there be any interest? I'd be more than happy to do the footwork and try to get it set up. I'd need pictures, and then the calendars could be sold as a fund raiser for ABS or bambooweb or whatever.

Should I look into it, or should I forget the idea?

-mike.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I sent the idea to the ABS board and Ian replied.
Ian Connor wrote:The OBA board were talking about getting a calendar together with a theme. Pick June, the text next to say a P. bambusoides should include cultivation notes of thinning culms, rhizome pruning, irrigation, fertilizing, legging up low branches, etc.

Such care tips would make this very useful and thus desirable for a huge gardening community and not just a pretty calendar.

You could push for two ~ tropical and temperate, but if that is stretching it, my advice is to focus on temperate as there are more temperate members than purely tropical.

Cheers!

Ian
What do you guys think of this.

Bill
mantis

Re: RE: Calendar?

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:I sent the idea to the ABS board and Ian replied.
Ian Connor wrote:The OBA board were talking about getting a calendar together with a theme. Pick June, the text next to say a P. bambusoides should include cultivation notes of thinning culms, rhizome pruning, irrigation, fertilizing, legging up low branches, etc.

Such care tips would make this very useful and thus desirable for a huge gardening community and not just a pretty calendar.

You could push for two ~ tropical and temperate, but if that is stretching it, my advice is to focus on temperate as there are more temperate members than purely tropical.

Cheers!

Ian
What do you guys think of this.

Bill
Bah!!! Boo temperate, hurray tropical :P

edit: Ok, if it has to appeal to the masses could the tropicals at least get the winter months? You know, September through May? :laughing1:
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
Bah!!! Boo temperate, hurray tropical :P

edit: Ok, if it has to appeal to the masses could the tropicals at least get the winter months? You know, September through May? :laughing1:

From a Florida outlook, I would think tropicals would have the Summer months and temperates the colder months. Tropicals prosper in the hot humid weather, whereas most temperates prefer a somewhat cooler climate.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
From a Florida outlook, I would think tropicals would have the Summer months and temperates the colder months. Tropicals prosper in the hot humid weather, whereas most temperates prefer a somewhat cooler climate.
There you go bringing logic into one of my threads :laughing1:

It was just the sadistic side of me in making the northerners look at beautiful bamboos while theirs are under 4 feet of snow. :twisted:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Ok, I guess I should keep this thread serious and constructive.

After doing some research it seems that we don't have time to get this done properly for a 2007 calendar. So, it looks like if there is interest in this we can do a 2008 calendar and get it done mid-late summer '07. That way we could make sure we get the best pictures, and have time to add any pertinent information, as Ian suggested. We'd then be able to make it available at the ABS annual meeting, and get it advertised here/ABS newsletters/etc, so it could really make some money for the ABS. If we rush it for '07 then no one will know about it, and very few copies will get sold.

Sound good?
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Ty-ty has some good pics, if you can get permission.
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

New England Bamboo Co. has a nice calendar.
mantis

Post by mantis »

BooKing wrote:New England Bamboo Co. has a nice calendar.
I just checked their web site, but couldn't find a calendar. I did find their price list... they are very proud of their bamboos.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I did find their price list... they are very proud of their bamboos.
If I remember correctly, their bamboo has made a trip to mars to gain cold-hardiness. :idea:
mantis

Post by mantis »

I'm going to start working on my own calendar for 2007 (my wife has some calendar making software at home).

Anywho, if anyone wants one I will take whatever I come up with and convert it into a PDF file. I'm hoping that Bill can host it on bamboo web, so anyone will be able to download it and print it. If he is unable to host it I'll just e-mail it to whoever would like a copy of it.

So, that being said, I need 12 pictures to use. If anyone is willing to share some of their photos I would be most appreciative. If no one is willing to share then the calendar will be made up of pictures of the bamboos in my back yard, and possibly some of my kids :P

We could even make it a theme, such as pictures of garden statues in bamboo. :D The pictures don't have to be museum quality. I'm just looking at doing something "fun".

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

-mike.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I can definitely store it here and provide a link to it. It would be nice to also include Bamboo notes on the pages such as cultivation or propagating tips.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:I can definitely store it here and provide a link to it. It would be nice to also include Bamboo notes on the pages such as cultivation or propagating tips.

Bill
Well now that is going beyond my abilities. :laughing1:

If anyone else wants to help (send a picture and caption/notes/information/etc.) I can put it all together.

So, pick a month, take a picture, give it some info, and send it to: frismanis@yahoo.com

8)