5m Thai bamboo grown indoor. One plant dont grow well

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

christian Jappe
Location info: 0

5m Thai bamboo grown indoor. One plant dont grow well

Post by christian Jappe »

The new leaf stem base gets brown/black and constricted and cannet let waqter and nutrients reach the new opened leafs...

See pictures new shoots stem base is brown and shrunken...

New root shoots from the soil is also weak and fall over.

Can any body help me?

BR
Christian
Attachments
IMG_7075.jpg
IMG_7074.jpg
IMG_7073.jpg
dependable

Re: 5m Thai bamboo grown indoor. One plant dont grow well

Post by dependable »

With indoor plants, "wet feet" or root rot is a common suspect. If soil the bamboo is too wet much of the time, root rot can kill plant. Symptoms sometimes look like under watering once the roots have started to die. If not too far gone, make sure there is adequate drainage in bottom of container and it is not in standing water.

Also, if the plants were originally grown outside before, the sudden loss of light from moving indoors can also set them back or even kill them. Indoor bamboo needs to be in greenhouse, under a strong grow light or at least a bright window during growing season.
christian Jappe

Post by christian Jappe »

IMG_7102.jpg
Dear "Dependable"

I think you are right about the wet feet and/or foot rot. It still very wet soil after drying out for three days...

It had some black spots looking like transport damages getting old. But after i stoped watering they have dried out and became almost white/yellowish brown. I am afraid it is fungus/rot in the stem spreading upward? See pics. It is only of the one who has been a little problematic from the beginning, where it almost dried out after taking it indoor in a very hot room, during a very hot summer, keeping it very moist, because it had a very little root system.

I have now tried to dry it out for some days, and leaf are still looking normal. I hope the bamboo will survive and i will water it very cautios from now on. I will place some lega gravels in the "underpot" to lift up the bottom of the actual pot from the ground, so excess water in the underpot will not wetten the roots all the time.

I will give you a feed back after some time. many thanks.
Attachments
IMG_7108.jpg
IMG_7107.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I agree with all above. I killed quite a bit of my Moso seedlings by drowning them. Bamboos indoors need drainage and light, I rather slightly underwater than water too much and it helps.