Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Post by Roy »

Here's another marriage that should be torn asunder.

Now this one is a little harder. I'm suggesting we drop the "tuldoides" from the name. So then we have:

Bambusa ventricosa plus ?

This "Kimmei" is really yellow with green striped plant as 'Vittata' is to Bambusa vulgaris. The solid green "ventricosa" has the same characteristics as the yellow with green striped version. Leaving out the color differences, then one would have the same plant.

Someone will have to help me with the naming conventions rule, but it should, to show the right connection to the other plant, be something like this:

Bambusa ventricosa 'Buddha's Belly: Kimmei'
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I have yet to see a Kimmei non-belly type get as large as the non-belly type Buddha Belly despite sizes listed.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy

Re: RE: Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:I have yet to see a Kimmei non-belly type get as large as the non-belly type Buddha Belly despite sizes listed.
This is the largest I've seen. Picture came from Boonut. Maybe he has some shareable knowledge.

Roy Rogers
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Post by needmore »

To me the Kimmei thing is a real head scratcher and inconsistently applied. Kimmei as I understand it means yellow with green stripes. But not all species that are yellow with green stripes are Kimmei, and then we have Phy. aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' which is yellow with a very rare faint stripe, but Phy. vivax 'Aureocaulis' is heavy with green striping, sometimes totally reverting to all green. Then how about Phy. aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' or Phy. bambusoides 'Castillonis' and on and on.

Besides the B.t.v. Kimmei and Sem. yashadake Kimmei are there any other Kimmei forms listed? Should 'Aureocaulis' imply yellow with no stripes? Is there any advantage to 'standardizing' cultivar names so that Kimmei means yellow with green stripes, Aureocaulis or Allgold or whatever means yellow without striping?

It seems to me like standard cultivar naming conventions, consistently applied would be more user friendly.

Bambusa vulgaris 'Kimmei'
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Kimmei'
Semiarundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei'
Phy. vivax 'Kimmei'
Phy. bambusoides 'Kimmei'
Schizostachyum brachycladum 'Aureocaulis'
Phy. aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis'
Bambusa ventricosa 'Green Stripe'
Bambusa doli 'Green Stripe'

Blah, blah, blah
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy

Re: RE: Bambusa tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei'

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:.........snip.........
It seems to me like standard cultivar naming conventions, consistently applied would be more user friendly.

........snip.....'

Blah, blah, blah
Definitely would be user friendly, but I don't see it happening. If all the different bamboo types had no names, and one could set about giving them names, then it would be great to organize the process first and then dole out the names. The problem is that 99.5 percent of them have names and to give them a different name would be confusing and met with resistance.
Roy Rogers