Bamboo and Herbicides.

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo and Herbicides.

Post by ShmuBamboo »

johnw wrote:These surfactants are said to cause the demise of amphibians as well. It dissolves their slimy skin protectant. Have to wonder what that BP did or is doing to the fish & amphibians around the Gulf.......
Do not get me started... oops, too late! From their ads on TV, you would think that BP has resolved all the issues and everything is fine in the Gulf. When in reality if you talk to anyone down there or look at what the local press and local government are dealing with, there is still a lot of oil and tar and sudsing from all the dispersants that they used. In the short term the dispersants dissolved the oil, but in the longer term the oil did not go away, and is still collecting on beaches and in estuaries. Meanwhile they are all blaming each other for the damage; BP, Halliburton, and Transocean, as well as the local states are in an endless legal battle. Which I believe is all being paid for by the public as gasoline has been about $1.50 a gallon over the base price of crude oil in the past year or so, whereas historically it was usually $1.00. Simple gas price fixing and collusion, as usual. BP has announced profits of $2.7 billion for the second quarter of 2013. Halliburton now has its butt in a sling as they just were forced to disclose that they destroyed evidence that they knew that the cement used for sealing the well was inferior.

Meanwhile many of the beaches along the Gulf remain a problem. This sign on the Gulf pretty much says it all:
Gulf-Oil-Spill_bp_beaches-306x204.jpg
Gulf-Oil-Spill_bp_beaches-306x204.jpg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
As for the Gulf wildlife, the effects are far from over:

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill ... n_s_1.html

And its not just the wildlife that is affected. The oil dispersant Corexit is likely causing lots of human health problems, like this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... 34963.html

Also the spill has had a huge impact on Gulf seafood, and they are still finding problems:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environmen ... of/2115038
Happy trails...
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

To say nothing of that meandering gigantic blob of oil on the bottom that the Wood's Hole team found..........
Last edited by johnw on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

These ads are usually done by a company called APCO Worldwide, they have an interesting history. They were spun off from Phillip-Morris and did ads denying the link between cigarettes and cancer. They have also done ads denying the link between CFCs and depletion of the ozone layer as well as ads denying the link between greenhouse gases and Global Warming.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

foxd wrote:These ads are usually done by a company called APCO Worldwide, they have an interesting history. They were spun off from Phillip-Morris and did ads denying the link between cigarettes and cancer. They have also done ads denying the link between CFCs and depletion of the ozone layer as well as ads denying the link between greenhouse gases and Global Warming.
Probably where the evil succubus in CT gets its ideas for its anti-bamboo campaign.

Disinformation, INC.
Happy trails...
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

ShmuBamboo wrote:
foxd wrote:These ads are usually done by a company called APCO Worldwide, they have an interesting history. They were spun off from Phillip-Morris and did ads denying the link between cigarettes and cancer. They have also done ads denying the link between CFCs and depletion of the ozone layer as well as ads denying the link between greenhouse gases and Global Warming.
Probably where the evil succubus in CT gets its ideas for its anti-bamboo campaign.

Disinformation, INC.
She is actually using fairly well established techniques used to spread propaganda. Chanting phrases like "destructive non-native invasive running Phyllostachys bamboo" and getting others to do the same helps shut down the more rational parts of the brain.

Another technique is to spread so many different lies that people will remember some of them, but not the fact that they were wrong. This is similar to having a politician deny a supposed scandal. We remember the headlines, but not the details.

Yet another technique she has used is to ridicule those that do use established techniques to control or eliminate bamboo. Yes, I've seen examples of her doing this and I find it particularly loathsome.

----

Of course these same actions are also symptoms of brain damage, which raises the uncomfortable possibility that a lot of our politicians are brain damaged and we are hardwired to tend to follow them. It certainly explains a lot about what is wrong in the world.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
busy.rhy

Post by busy.rhy »

I've invented (I think) a pretty clever way to use RoundUp to control bamboo that's escaped into my neighbors' yards.

MY STATS / SITUATION
• 12 years ago I planted three stands of phyllostachys Bisetti. Each stand is about 2' wide by 20' long. I lined each trench with barrier.

• I live in a city (Oakland CA) and my entire property is only 2,500 square feet. I surrounded my tiny backyard on three sides with bamboo and created a magical little urban oasis.

• Over the years above-ground runners have hopped the barrier on the non-visible side of my grove. They slip under the fence and then dive back underground only to shoot up culms 1 to 20 feet into my neighbors' yards. (Three groves on three sides of my yard = three separate neighbors.)

MY SOLUTION
See drawings, but in a nutshell:
- Sever offending runner from my grove (aka: the mothership).
- Dig a 6" deep hole around cut, exposing about 6" of runner.
- Insert runner into one half of 12" clear plastic tubing.
- Bend and stake plastic tubing into a V shape, with bent part at bottom of hole.
- Pour concentrated RoundUp into empty side of V until runner is submerged.
- Cover open end.
- Runner soaks up the RU and dies peacefully underground.

MIGHT NOT APPLY TO YOU
• All of my neighbors are fine with me going into their yards unannounced to deal with my boo. I removed two fence planks from the cross supports and hinged them so I have discreet little passages to access and maintain my boo from their yards.

• I prefer to not spray RU because it's often windy here; I also think that since bamboo rhizomes possess so much energy (for lack of a better word) that concentrated RU is an appropriate opponent.

GUILTY CONSCIOUS
One of these days I am going to experiment with non-RU solutions: vinegar, 91% alcohol, bleach, liquid soap, ammonia, etc. to see if those might work as well. Maybe even RU diluted to normal strength. I'll set up jars of each of these (plus a jar of water for the control), plop a section of rhizome in and see how long it takes for each one to die (or not). If I find something that's effective, I'll use it instead of RU.

Hope this helps someone!
Attachments
Boo3.png
Boo1.png
needmore

Post by needmore »

I wonder if extremely salty water would work?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

needmore wrote:I wonder if extremely salty water would work?
It would. Don't know if it would get sucked in all the way to the end of rhizomes or if it would stop somewhere in the middle of the way. You can try different salt concentrations - it might be that lower concentration and prolonged exposure would do more damage than with high concentration alone.