Where: Bamboo Garden
18900 NW Collins Rd
Portland, OR 97133
Please RSVP here

Ned V. Jaquith
July 14, 1939 – September 26, 2012

Ned’s Birthday Memorial Weekend!

Schedule:
3:00 Arrive,set up tents,tour the groves,or help out.
5:30 Potluck! Please bring side dishes to share. Fresh caught tuna, Korean BBQ, vegetarian BBQ, lemonade, and birthday tribute cake provided.
7:00 Taiko drumming performance by Monmouth Taiko in Ned’s Moso Grove
7:45 Memorial, including remembrances in the grove, slides, and a special announcement about the Ned Jaquith Foundation
9:15 Family oriented film
11:00 Lights out, all who want to camp are free to.

Please RSVP with what you are bringing to the potluck, if you are camping, and how many are in your party. This will help us organize this special event! We will be sending updated information via email and posting here.
Please try to carpool. We are working on how to provide parking for a large # of vehicles, but need your help. More information soon.
Donations to the Ned Jaquith Foundation will be accepted in lieu of flowers. Donations can be made at the memorial or at www.nedjaquithfoundation.org
Sunday will be an annual event Ned loved-the Portland Bamboo Festival at Hoyt Arboretum from 10 am-3 pm
Nearby Grocery Stores:
New Seasons
1453 NE 61st Ave, Hillsboro, (503) 648-6968
Fred Meyer
22075 NW Imbrie Dr, Hillsboro, OR , (503) 747-1100
Costco (One of Neds favorite places!), 1255 NE 48th Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124, (503) 681-2800

Nearby hotels:
You can post where you are staying in hopes your friends will stay at the same hotel!
Mcmenamin's Grand Lodge
3505 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, OR 97116
(877) 992-9533
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland West/Beaverton
15583 NW Gateway Court, Beaverton 97006
503-972-0048
Hilton Garden Inn
15520 Northwest Gateway Court, Beaverton, OR 97006
Homewood Suites
15525 Northwest Gateway Court, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-614-0900
Residence Inn by Marriott
(in south waterfront area downtown PDX), 2115 SW River Pkwy, Portland, OR 97201, (503) 552-9500
ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Ned Jaquith Memorial

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Thanks for posting this. I missed his funeral for unavoidable reasons.

BTW: there is a WinCo located just south of that Fred Meyer off of Cornelious Pass Rd. in north Hillsboro near Highway 26 (its cheaper than Freddy's).
Happy trails...
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Bump...
Happy trails...
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I got home at midnight last night from Portland. It was a great remembrance of Ned I arrived early so I could help and pick up the plant and barrier that I had ordered. There were a lot of tours of the garden while people were showing up. I do not know the final count of people there but over 100 had RSVPed to be there and another 25 had said that they would try to make it.

Ned Will truly be missed.

Bill

Here is a clip of the band that played in the moso grove before Ned's ashes were spread and stories were told. I did not have my camera so I did not take a video of there performance in the grove.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Yes, there was a very large turnout at Bamboo Garden this past weekend, and a lot of good company. There was a lot of food and drink and cake (too much really). The Japanese drum group was quite good, as was an improvised duo of bamboophiles that played one song on the drums afterward. Then Ned's ashes were spread out under the Moso grove that Ned grew originally from seed, a variety now called Phy. edulis Jaquith, as it is unique in that it has fine stripes starting about 20 feet above the ground. There were many kind words said about Ned and many funny stories told about him. Then there was a slide show about Ned and his life with a lot of interesting and amusing photos. After that most of the people left that were not camping out. There was a campfire and a several of us talked rather late into the night about things bamboo, while watching the nice display of candles and hanging lights dancing in Ned's Moso Grove.

The next day was to be Ned's 74 birthday, the same day of the Portland Bamboo Festival. I did not attend. I presume it was as good as usual, though just not the same without Ned... who is now becoming part of his Moso grove at Bamboo Garden. While Bamboo Garden will never be the same without the unique and inquisitive wily man, he is still there among and within the bamboo that he so dearly loved.

Sleep in peace, and wake in joy; Good angels guard thee...
-From Richard III
Happy trails...
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »