There is a Bamboo Building Course, July 20th-26th. In Lake Atitlan Guatemala.
This hands-on course will teach you how to design and build your own house from the ground up, using bamboo and natural materials in tropical and temperate climates.
Your main instructor will be Charlie Rendall, founder and director of Return to the Forest, and builder of Lake Atitlan’s most famous bamboo buildings – The Tai Chi Tao Temple, The Yoga Forest, and the Bamboo Palace.
Participants will help to build an open-air market pavilion for the Mayan village of Tzununá, one of the smallest villages on the lake. Designed by upcoming bamboo architect and specialist in tensile structures, Jennifer Giller, the innovative design provides an excellent opportunity for practicing bamboo joinery, and understanding the many distinguishing qualities that make it such a versatile and popular building material.
* Introduction to building with bamboo:
– Framing and joinery
– Varieties of bamboo and their applications
– Tips and tricks
– The modern revolution in bamboo architecture
* Barefoot Architecture 101 – How to design and plan your own house, including:
– Site selection
– Choosing the right natural building materials
– Framing, including earthquake and disaster resistance
– Wall fill and plastering techniques
– Floors and roofs
* Natural building tour of San Marcos La Laguna
For more information visit www.returntotheforest.org
1 post • Page 1 of 1