Latest Phyllostachys to shoot?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Latest Phyllostachys to shoot?

Post by Alan_L »

For me the latest to shoot is Ph. virella. I'm not sure how typical this year's weather has been as it was warm early, then got cold for several weeks, then warmed up again, but for me Ph. virella only started shooting a little over a week ago (so first week in June).

A couple things to point out that may have affected this:
- It's my youngest planting, with this being it's 3rd or 4th shooting season in ground
- This was the first year I rhizome pruned it, and it had spread A LOT. Most of the rhizomes are now disconnected from the main plant.

Is virella late for others?
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Latest Phyllostachys to shoot?

Post by needmore »

I'll be surprised if anyone else has it!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Phyllostachys aurea is just starting. This year, it's extremely late. Moso and Phyllostachys arcana seedlings are already branching out.
Some of my bamboos are one month behind their usual schedule, the only one that wasn't affected by our unusually cold spring is Borinda gaolinensis seedling. It's doing surprisingly well. Sadly it got scorched during winter again.
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Robert Young seems to be the latest shooter in my small collection.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Mine was always Rubro which seems related to Virella and I really wonder if the Virella that I imported is actually a form of Rubro? Shoots look quite similar and perhaps shoot timing is as well?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

My Rubro was a little earlier than the virella. Definitely similar in look. Virella is closer to the house so I look at it more. :)

I'm hoping David will respond...
needmore

Post by needmore »

Jos VDP from whom I picked up the Virella thought that it was closely aligned with Atrovaginata and mine was not at all, very close to Rubro so I've always suspected a mixup on my part or someone else's. There were no other plants in that import trip of mine that seemed mixed up so I suspect if it happened it did so upstream from me and I have no guess what it might be.

As you can see on my website if you can currently find the Rubro, my Rubro shoots were showing the really colorful culm leaves and the Virella never did though that might be maturity and perhaps yours will? I might be mistaken but I do not think that Rubro is common at all in Europe so it seems unlikely to be that but...
grover

Post by grover »

My Rubro is always late. This year there was no above-ground action until the first week of June. Two weeks in, some of it is 6 feet high, but other shoots are still popping out of the ground. Last year it started coming up about May 25, so this year it is a week later. I do not know what kinds of things effect this.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Rubro for me too, mine are just starting to shoot now.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

It may have to do with the amount of precipitation.
Not sure about your place, but my area was particularly dry during month of May and early June.
dependable

Post by dependable »

I don't think it is a percipitaion issue, at least w mine. It is always at least a month later than the other Phyllostachys I have. Nuda and vivax lag behind bissette and the aureosulcatas, but only by a week or so.
needmore

Post by needmore »

My atrovaginata was almost always just ahead of the rubro and both were weeks after the first Phy species to shoot.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Alan.
I just saw your post. Hope all is well with you and yours.
For me virella and Rubro shoot at very similar times, and as Brad mentioned virella may be a form of rubro, but not as hardy.
Also as Brad mentioned we may or may not have the real virella. I removed my large grove because it was not performing well, but I still have a smaller planting.
The last plants to shoot here are viridis, Robert Young, and are followed by bambusoides, and lithofila. I'm thinking lithofila is a hardier form of bambusoides, and it is the last to shoot. Have a safe and happy 4th!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

I am still waiting on shoots for paravifolia, dulcus, viridis, vivax inversa and regular vivax both the paravifolia and inversa are over 2 “ so I am excited about seeing what they do this year but I am wondering if I will get shoots at all.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

zxylene wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:57 am I am still waiting on shoots for paravifolia, dulcus, viridis, vivax inversa and regular vivax both the paravifolia and inversa are over 2 “ so I am excited about seeing what they do this year but I am wondering if I will get shoots at all.
My Dulcis and Paravifolia just started shooting. Not much in the way of upsizing yet, but it's still early. I'm in Zone 9, so you could be a couple weeks still. Fingers crossed for you!