What is Jos's Ph. shanghai 3

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

What is Jos's Ph. shanghai 3

Post by Markj »

I hope all goes well withs brad's importing trip and this bamboo makes it to the USA, it's reputation as the biggest cold hardy bamboo in Europe has already been made ,so there's no reason it can't do the same over there. Plants were few and far between a few years back, once 'news' got round and the photos seen of Jos's plant loads of nurseries imported plants which were fairly quickly snapped up.

Out of all the Phyllostachys planted here, none have shown as much growth in one year as the #3 , planted two years ago this tripled in height and culm size this . It's now around 8 foot tall and 3/4 inch, bearing in mind the UK climate where Ph. do not do well this is good progress.

The debate on what it is though is still going on, Jos's thoughts were of a dulcis clone, but it dos'nt match any of the botanical descriptions.

In the spring I took some pic's of the new shoots( no laughing at the size, it's the grey old UK fault :roll: )

Phyllostachys dulcis( thought young it matches, including stripes on culms and leaves.

Ph. shanghai

Anyone have any thoughts on this bamboo.

Mark.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

The only thought that comes to my mind "gotta have it". Great pictures and keep us informed of the progress :D
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

shoots

Post by needmore »

Yes, it doesn't quite look like Dulcis shoots to me. I do not have Praecox because I suspect that it is not very hardy so I don't know what those shoots look like.

I can't quite recall what my Shanghai 1 shoots look like, but these photos seem to show characteristics of a combination of different species that I have, but no single species. Kind of a Viridis/Aurea/Mannii Decora mix!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I can't wait till spring shooting starts :cry:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

You should go vacation in the southern hemisphere because of the Spring. Then see what the opposites do.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I spent alot of years living there in the southern hemisphere-one place I lived at never got below 75 degrees at night and avg daily temps of 97 with humidity so deep you moved in slow motion. I would welcome that now considering we are experiencing our first frost this weekend...