Bamboo's that thrive indoors?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

steve-in-kville
Location info: 0

Bamboo's that thrive indoors?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I would like to keep some plants indoors and immediatly thought of the smaller bamboo varieties. At home, I have limited south and east window exposure, At work I just have artificial light. Do I have any realistic options?
Regards,

steve-in-kville
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Bamboo's that thrive indoors?

Post by stevelau1911 »

For me, bambusa ventricosa has been the best indoor bamboo. The ventricosa kimmei type tends to get too tall, but the regular green ventricosa does pretty well in forming buddha bellies and making transitions from outdoors to indoors. It also doesn't take forever to produce shoots.

I have split mine 3 times already after having it for 3 years as they will constantly outgrow their pots. Dendrocalamus sinicus can reach great sizes in pots however it hardly ever looks pretty as it replaces all of its leaves every time it either goes indoors or back outdoors so I gave mine away. With any tropical clumper, I would not expect them to produce shoots with only window light over the winter as it only seems to be enough to get them through the winters.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Pseudosasa japonica is often listed as a good indoor bamboo.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

If you have cats as pets, be prepared for chewed leaves. I stopped trying to keep any bamboos indoors in my living area because the cats would munch on them every day, making them look frayed and ugly (the leaves, not the cats).
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

I would need something on the smaller side, if possible.
Regards,

steve-in-kville
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

In my experience, I don't find that any bamboo will thrive indoors, survive perhaps but not thrive. After years of failures with multiple species indoors in a nearly ideal growing situation (a full blown conservatory would be better) I am finally having some success - but I would not describe it as thriving. The species is Bambusa multiplex 'Silverstripe' and I think the technique is more important than the species. The technique for me was to keep the bamboo outdoors in very limited direct light while babying it all summer to get it well established in its pot. Then when brought indoors it did not experience a sudden decrease in light, if anything it gets more light now indoors. This is the 1st time ever that my indoor bamboo did not drop leaves like mad and start looking like crap after a few weeks, thus far it looks quite content and the new shoots that emerged outdoors are leafed out and not weak/spindly. So I think that the key is maintaining indoor light equal to or superior to the light that the plant is used to before coming into the new setting. Not easy to do. In all other attempts with quite a few species I was not careful with the pre-indoor light conditions and my 1st attempt at minding that has worked - not really enough to say with certainty but very suggestive at least.

I have never tried artificial light so perhaps that will help a great deal.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

needmore wrote:In my experience, I don't find that any bamboo will thrive indoors, survive perhaps but not thrive. After years of failures with multiple species indoors in a nearly ideal growing situation (a full blown conservatory would be better) I am finally having some success - but I would not describe it as thriving. The species is Bambusa multiplex 'Silverstripe' and I think the technique is more important than the species. The technique for me was to keep the bamboo outdoors in very limited direct light while babying it all summer to get it well established in its pot. Then when brought indoors it did not experience a sudden decrease in light, if anything it gets more light now indoors. This is the 1st time ever that my indoor bamboo did not drop leaves like mad and start looking like crap after a few weeks, thus far it looks quite content and the new shoots that emerged outdoors are leafed out and not weak/spindly. So I think that the key is maintaining indoor light equal to or superior to the light that the plant is used to before coming into the new setting. Not easy to do. In all other attempts with quite a few species I was not careful with the pre-indoor light conditions and my 1st attempt at minding that has worked - not really enough to say with certainty but very suggestive at least.

I have never tried artificial light so perhaps that will help a great deal.
I agree with everything Brad has to say with some additional advice. Bamboo in general are very intolerant of the dry air found in homes, and will look horrible unless effort is made to increase the humidity around the plant. I at one time kept Chimonobambusa marmorea as a house plant, I gave it supplemental lighting and a water tray (humidifier) even so it looked ragged by winters end. This particular plant is now permanently outside. I did not try the technique Brad mentions, so there is that to consider. My final advice? If your dead set on getting a indoor bamboo, find a species that has waxy leaves and can tolerate low light levels.
M
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

moriphen wrote:... find a species that has waxy leaves and can tolerate low light levels.
Any suggestions? You can find info on bamboos that will tolerate low light levels, but waxiness?

Even if you have a great location (plenty of light and humidity) indoors, I think you'll still want to bring your plant outdoors each summer to revitalize it. Plus if it's a temperate species you will probably need to give it at least a month of colder temps.
Crrrazy

Post by Crrrazy »

I'm still a bit of a newbie, but my advice would be to just find a bamboo you love, then learn about it's needs, then simply do your best to provide what it needs. It doesn't know if it's in its natural environment, as long as its needs at met, it will grow and you'll be successful. The key for me has been research. The more you know, the better you'll be able to provide for your bamboo. Also, don't let yourself be limited by what "should" or "shouldn't" work. Think outside the box and experiment. Don't just keep a nice little plant and hope it'll survive if you give it some water and light (although it can often be just that simple), learn about it and be conscious of what works for you and what doesn't.

Right now, I'm trying 14 different bamboo varieties both outside and inside and it's been a ton of fun learning about them and figuring out how to get them to grow well here in Utah. My personal favorite is Vivax Aureocaulis and in spite of all the people who say there's no way any phyllostachys (let alone vivax) can do well indoors, I have a potted specimen that has done really well indoors for two winters now and outside for two summers. I also have bambusa vulgaris vittata, sasa palmata, fargesia rufa, and phy. rubromarginata in my house and they're doing very well.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362376370.417869.jpg
Crrrazy

Post by Crrrazy »

P.S. I do enjoy Sasa Palmata and it seems like one that "should" do well indoors. ;-)
eternal3lade

Post by eternal3lade »

Crrraazy,

What type of bamboo is in the pot on the far left near the window (or anyone who knows for that matter)? Also were all of those specimens grown completely indoors or were they allowed to spend the summer outside? Lastly how old is that one?

Thanks!