Boo-Shoots for 2015

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Boo-Shoots for 2015

Post by johnw »

Heh wind-borne: I think many east-coasters might find our temps - especially the lows - shockingly low. The consequence of living next to a large deep cold ocean. Spring usually lasts a long time here and "summer" doesn't strike till late June. The great part is autumn can go on forever and humidity is always of the British kind. Guess you have much the same save for the winter. After a long dry stretch we're now into the damp + misty phase till July as a rule. Can't say I've a second shooting on Scabrida, might this be a stronger one? John
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Funny, we'll have rain until Tuesday, then it moves to your place. :mrgreen:
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

johnw wrote:Heh wind-borne: I think many east-coasters might find our temps - especially the lows - shockingly low. The consequence of living next to a large deep cold ocean. Spring usually lasts a long time here and "summer" doesn't strike till late June. The great part is autumn can go on forever and humidity is always of the British kind. Guess you have much the same save for the winter. After a long dry stretch we're now into the damp + misty phase till July as a rule. Can't say I've a second shooting on Scabrida, might this be a stronger one? John
The avg. temp range here is very narrow, winter and summer defined more by the quality of light and amount of water falling from the sky. Prevailing summer 'breeze' chilly.:mrgreen:

Think i will see at least 3 waves of shoots as last Aug had a full round.
Took a better look this morn and saw about 7 new ones and wouldn't group with Feb. shoots as they are almost fully extended.
Maybe you get your yearly quota all at once.
Attachments
year avg..jpg
Sca 5.22.jpg
"memory is the future of the past"
johnw

Post by johnw »

Only in very wet summers do we get an ocassional secondary flush. Otherwise, aside from Dec to end March, our temps are quite similar. Moisture wise we're very different and in fact I get a bit more rain than shown. It's scarey how overcast we are, 112 days of fog can't help!

john
Attachments
Screen shot 2015-05-22 at 3.03.54.png.jpg
Screen shot 2015-05-22 at 3.01.18.png.jpg
Screen shot 2015-05-22 at 3.03.54.png.jpg
Screen shot 2015-05-22 at 3.02.44.png.jpg
Screen shot 2015-05-22 at 3.04.41 PM.png
T9D

Post by T9D »

Decora really filling in. I think we are going to be about 12' this year. Those 4 sparse little plants went nuts.

Rubro on the bottom has crazy density and upsize. Like a giant fountain of green shot out of it.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Shoots have emerged way later than expected in upstate NY as some bamboos haven't even waken up yet. I guess it must be the lingering cold soil, damage or a combination of both, but it's definitely not the most impressive shooting season I've seen. Some of these photos were taken on the 17th, and others on the 19th of May.

Here's the bicolor division from a large section of rhizomes which appears to be the only thing shooting, and it's more than an inch in diameter, so far my largest shoot this year.

The mother grove it came from appeared to have dropped many leaves and culms are not leafing back all the way to the tips so either there was damage, too much damp soil, or taking the division took away too much energy. Still no signs of shoot.

The shanghai III appears to be one of the only ones with a pretty good upsize, and coming out early. I guess it is an early shooter and bounces back from hard winters pretty well.

Nigra has a decent upsize.

Nigra henon, still about the same size

Decora, just a bit larger than last year's

Prominens, The remaining divisions appear to be getting up to 4-6ft with the new shoots getting well bigger than the originals.

Parvifolia, I hope the big grove of it does as well as these.

Makinoi, Slightly bigger than last year's but more spread out

Atrovaginata, It looks like this one will be much smaller than last year's with many survival shoots likely no more than 2/3 inch in diameter

Propinqua Beijing, no large shoots yet

Dulcis, It looks like this one's going to get pretty small this year getting whacked for the 2nd winter in a row.

Fargesia Robusta

Fargesia Robusta Wolong

Fargesia Denudata

Fargesia Nitida

Indocalamus Tessalatus, finally putting out a shoot, or a branch from underground

Phyllostachys primotina, hanging in there
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

T9D your boos are looking great around the patio. Nice growth! Mine are filling in fast too. Gotta love the West coast!
T9D

Post by T9D »

mountainbamboonut wrote:T9D your boos are looking great around the patio. Nice growth! Mine are filling in fast too. Gotta love the West coast!
Thanks, I know I don't think I could take the stress of these east coasters, I'd have to move for better bamboo and my own sanity :mrgreen:

Steve I wouldn't get to down just yet. Mine barely started doing anything and I was disappointed when they first started shooting. A shoot here, a shoot there, then about a month later everything exploded and the real shooting season began.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Sasa palmata 'Nebulosa' went through the bad winter much better than I ever expected, much better than 'Hopei' which is a bit tattered. Both just shooting now.
Attachments
Sasa palmata 'Nebulosa' .jpg
Sasa palmata 'Nebulosa' Argyle-20150526-05281.jpg
Sasa palmata 'Nebulosa' Argyle-20150526-05282.jpg
johnw

Post by johnw »

Two big surprises in southern Nova Scotia on Tuesday were the shoots on Fargesia apicirubens (Dabashan #2), 12+ft high and F. robusta 'Campbell' over 15ft high. These had no fertilizer last year. New shoots are an inch or more in diameter so we should see a big upsize if the rains come; one shoot on Campbell was a meter away from the clump. No burn on either.

Buddy and Rhododendron 'Grace Seabrook' for good measure but with apicirubens on the right rear downhill.

Left southernmost at noon, temp was 13c & foggy, 1 hour away 24c & sunny & windows down, 2hr away 27c & sunny & air-conditioning on, home 3.5hrs away 18c & sunny, breezy & windows up.

johnw
Attachments
Fargesia apicirubens Dabashan Argyle-20150526-05227.jpg
Fargesia robusta 'Campbell' Argyle-20150526-05273.jpg
Rhododendron 'Grace Seabrook' Argyle-20150526-05226.jpg
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Nothing for shoots here yet :( Usually alata shoots the last week of may or first 2 weeks of june, depending on year. Im not expecting an upsize, seeing as there are no leaves that survived.

Nothing from my nitida either, but this one I am sure is alive. A few dark coloured canes, that are different colour then the obviously top killed alata, and dead few inches on the nitida. No leaves either
johnw

Post by johnw »

Hope that nitida survives for you. Second go eh?
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Yeah, but its the first one I manged to get in the ground. I took a look today, and again, its alive im 100% sure, just no shoots. Looks about half top killed.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have a Spectabilis division in 20 liter bucket with holes on the bottom. It was outside fully exposed through the winter and remained green, but never started shooting. It is only now starting to grow new leaves, before that, it was completely passive despite all bamboos in the ground (and those that were protected) already started growing. I don't know if I can expect shoots at all. Yet, it's alive.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Shanghai 3 is definitely winning the race with several shoots already over 2m tall

parvifolia shoots with a pretty destroyed hosta.

This year there has been a slug invasion and I've already had to lift out some plants to at least give them a fighting chance.
A small sambucus nigra 'Black Tower' was completely defoliated and an actinidia arguta 'issai' that already suffered from vole damage had all its shoots nibbled away.
Lets not talk about vegetables or the greenhouse. If slugs can eat it it is basically gone overnight.
At least only a few shanghai 3 shoots were slightly damaged so far.

I really like the wavy sheath blades of parvifolia

atrovaginata is also doing well with many new shoots after its "off year" in the previous season.

Vivax aureocaulis is also putting out impressive growth considering this is only its third shooting season.

nigra punctata with a vole hole right behind the shoots.