Yellow Groove Bamboo Flowering

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Yellow Groove Bamboo Flowering

Post by ocimum_nate »

I will get a positive ID on this one but all that I could see hanging over the fence at my friends house indicated yellow groove and it looked like Harbin to me but I will have to ask his neighbor if he has an ID for his plant.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/natesplants/17396322270/
T9D

Re: Yellow Groove Bamboo Flowering

Post by T9D »

Ohh that's not good. I just bought some Spectabilis. I'm assuming all types will flower now if this isn't some freak event? There is a massive amount of Aureosulcata all over all the Country and especially the really cold states. But will be awesome to see what comes out of the seeds.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I've read that Phyllostachys aureosulcata bamboos (Spectabilis included) can start flowering from time to time without producing viable seeds. They stop flowering afterwards and appear normal as nothing ever happened. Could it be cold induced flowering?

My Spectabilis doesn't show any signs of flowering. It does have fewer and relatively smaller shoots this season though. Hoped for an upsize and got the same diameter shoots.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

ocimum_nate wrote:I will get a positive ID on this one but all that I could see hanging over the fence at my friends house indicated yellow groove and it looked like Harbin to me but I will have to ask his neighbor if he has an ID for his plant.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/natesplants/17396322270/
Could it possibly be phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' and not aureosulcata? arcana has been flowering in the past years.

Otherwise like Tarzanus said stress induced flowering may also be a possibility.
I'd only be worried once lots of reports start appearing and the plant continues to flower for several seasons.
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

Nicholas wrote: Could it possibly be phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' and not aureosulcata? arcana has been flowering in the past years.
Hope you're right.

Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' blooming Bamboo Blooming 2013
The Phyllostachys arcana Luteo sulcata blooming. Not all straws but seeds have already been developed so that it can be assumed the entire plant will die according to her flowering cycle.

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I've seen my yellow groove, spectabilis both flower multiple times on a few isolated culms thus far no seed nor major flowering on them.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

And I've had a few flowers on 'Harbin Inversa' and 'Lama Temple' the year I got them. No seeds and no more flowers since.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

According to the neighbor the plant is a Spectabils. So it is a Yellow Groove variety
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Is it all-out flowering, or just a couple of culms?

It would be awesome to see if the seeds are fertile.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

I could see several culms over the fence the man also has black bamboo and another species all growing together. I had my friend ask him what species and variety it was when he was home so my friend friend got to see his reaction when he told him that his plant might die. My friend said he was not happy. I told my friend once the anthers dry up and are done to put a nylon stocking over the culm to preserve as many seeds as possible.