Growing bamboo in a tropical climate

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Growing bamboo in a tropical climate

Post by stevelau1911 »

During the hottest part of summer, temperatures usually range from 88F to 73F, and during the winter, it is more like 82F-66F so we never really even get cool here in the hotter part of Hawaii. I tried growing moso seedlings about half a year ago, but they never performed anywhere near as well as they have when I grew them in upstate NY and I think it could be due to the constant heat, but a few of them are still surviving, just with a chlorosis problem which I cannot figure out.

I decided to get a couple of tropical clumping bamboo divisions from a neighbor who has a very straight kind which would be ideal for trellis building. I don't have a slammer so I could only get the stuff that could be severed with a lopper and no deep roots, but it looks like these should perform better for me since it is definitely thriving for my neighbor.

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Growing bamboo in a tropical climate

Post by needmore »

Steve, have you seen the large grove of a short Phy on the Pali - Kailua side of the tunnels, not too far from the tunnels and near the bottom. On the right side. I've seen Phy aurea there and every time it was short.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com