Phyllostachys primotina

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Phyllostachys primotina

Post by johnw »

A photo of Phyllostachys arcana (primotina) at Jens' in Copenhagen.

It flowered in 2013 at Pez' in Munich. She sent seeds to Steffen in Heidlberg. Steffen send seeds to me in Nova Scotia. I in turn sent seeds to nurseryman Mogens in Gedser, Denmark who grew seedling. Jens got a plant from Mogens. Quite the journey!

Steffen G. had a true primotina and it did not flower that year, just the solitary plant in Munich. However P. arcana did flower that year, IU presume it subsequently died. Steffen has now determined given the increased culm size the seeds we got were P. arcana, please change your labels.

john
Attachments
Phyllostachys arcana (primotina) JCB.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable

Re: Phyllostachys primotina

Post by dependable »

Hi John,

That's interesting and not surprising. The one survivor from my seedlings does not look like the pictures of new shoots of primotina. I'll post a new picture when it shoots, which probably will be soon. Pretty much your basic green phyllo so far.

I remember a fair number of the seedlings came up albino(and eventually died). Is that common for P arcana seedlings others had?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Phyllostachys arcana or primotina? As far as I know it's two different bamboos?
The bamboo on the photo does look like my regular Phyllostachys arcana seedling. Extremely aggressive seedling and it upsized really, really fast. The variegated seedlings are spreading vigorously, but they are by far less vigorous - at least regarding culm thickness.

PS: I just read whole post, sorry. It is P. arcana. :mrgreen:
The most exclusive feature of arcana seedlings is how dark they become when they lose their culm sheaths. Some genuflecting is also quite common, but not this year, at least not here..
dependable

Post by dependable »

Here is what my plant from seed looks like now. I don't have any other P arcana, so it is not a disappointment it is not primotina. Arcana may be more cold hardy too.
Attachments
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG