Can You Stake Clumping Bamboo to be more Upright?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bayarea41
Location info: 0

Can You Stake Clumping Bamboo to be more Upright?

Post by bayarea41 »

I have a 5 foot Oldhamii in a container. This is my first ever bamboo plant. We don't have groundspace, that's why a container. We want to move it against a fence when taller to block neighbors 2nd story window.

1) Once it's much taller we don't mind it weeping outwards. But for now, if the shoots start to block our sidewalk, can you rope together some of the shoots lightly? Or use stakes to keep them more upright? Or is that terrible for bamboo?

2) Can I put a clumping bamboo plant directly against a fence or house wall for example without long term damage? As obviously it wouldn't really be able to grow outwards on the side that is up against the wall, not sure what happens to those shoots, can they direct themselves more upwards like a vine would?

Here's an image (pics don't seem show up on this forum): https://i.imgur.com/I21W44q.jpg

Tarzanus

Re: Can You Stake Clumping Bamboo to be more Upright?

Post by Tarzanus »

Staking or using rope to make the bamboo more upright doesn't bother bamboo much. Come can be a bit delicate and like to have their roots shaded, which might be one reason of strong weeping habit of a bamboo, but you can make it more upright and keep the pots shaded.

You can keep them right next to a fence or house, bamboo won't really mind. Keep in mind that the contact will be less aerated and won't dry as fast. Wood or other materials that can decay in wet conditions could have an issue with that. Bamboo will lean on it and then weep outwards. On the inside, there would be much less leaves (in dense clumps none) since there's no light. Other than that, it would grow fine.
bayarea41

Re: Can You Stake Clumping Bamboo to be more Upright?

Post by bayarea41 »

Tarzanus wrote:Staking or using rope to make the bamboo more upright doesn't bother bamboo much. Come can be a bit delicate and like to have their roots shaded, which might be one reason of strong weeping habit of a bamboo, but you can make it more upright and keep the pots shaded.

You can keep them right next to a fence or house, bamboo won't really mind. Keep in mind that the contact will be less aerated and won't dry as fast. Wood or other materials that can decay in wet conditions could have an issue with that. Bamboo will lean on it and then weep outwards. On the inside, there would be much less leaves (in dense clumps none) since there's no light. Other than that, it would grow fine.
Okay, interesting. True sunlight won't reach the backside of the plant as well

I'm concerned about the existing canes/branches- trying to push them against the wall without breaking anything.
So long term, will the branches and leaves still be able to grow against the wall?