Diameter of new shoots

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Canadrew
Location info: 0

Diameter of new shoots

Post by Canadrew »

Hi all,

When will the bamboo shoot reach it's max diameter for that cane? when it breaks the surface and really starts to grow? Or will it keep expanding until the shoot reaches it max height?

The shoot in question is about 5 feet tall (growing 3-5inches per good weather day) but only 3/4 inch thick at ground level - whereas the established canes are 2 inches thick at ground level (I bought it as a 20G pot with 3 2" canes and 1 1" cane). Yes, I know I could wait, but where's the fun in that? :)

Thanks!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Diameter of new shoots

Post by needmore »

The diameter at ground level now is essentially the diameter, it will not get larger. It sounds like the pot you bought was probably divided a year or two ago and the plant has not yet regained the energy it has when it pushed the 2" blokes. Very loosely it seems to me like it will be the 3rd shooting season after dividing before they'll approach the 'original' size.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Thanks for the response! The nursery I bought it from said that the 2" ones came up the spring after he divided it (two Christmasses ago). It could be that the bigger shoots are still yet to come, so I will remain hopeful! So far the pot has 20 shoots of varying heights/widths, so I'm not disappointed, but would like to see a big one come up!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If a division is made once the grove has shut down for the growing season then it has stored energy for spring shoots, I used to make single culm divisions in Feb and the Mar-April shoots would be larger than what I divided; then the next spring they'd be maybe only 25% the size of the previous ones.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com