Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fargesiagalore
Location info: 0

Where did I mess up?

Post by fargesiagalore »

Friends,

I'm in the PacNW in zone 8b.

I just purchased 37 F. Robusta (Campell) plants in #15 pots from a local grower who divided them in February, and planted them as a hedge around my property on Thursday. They were in beautiful shape when I purchased them on Tuesday. I watered them on Wednesday. It was a nice, overcast day when I planted on Thursday. Don't think it got over 75º that day or in the ensuing 2 days.

Planted them in a trench that I backfilled w/ native soil that was pretty dry from having been excavated several days earlier. Most of them are in full sun, but full sun is supposed to be fine for this species in the PNW, and it hasn't been very hot at all.

Today, many of the branches on the oldest/tallest culms were looking a bit brown and the leaves were quite droopy with yellowing/browning leaf tips that were curling.

I watered significantly as I was back filling the trench as I was concerned about the dryness of the soil.

Everything I've researched told me that over watering and under watering can look very similar, and the way to tell is to water again and see if the leaves bounce back. If they don't bounce back, it's over watering and you need to let the plants dry out.

The soil around the base was still moist using the "finger poke" test, but I'm no expert.

So I gave them all another good soaking this afternoon and, hours later, no change. Many leaves still quite droopy and leaf tips remain brown (can't imagine those are going to self correct).

Do you all concur that I just went overboard watering and need to let things dry out?

The reason I'm second guessing this is because I passed this by the grower, and they thought I screwed up by letting the plants sit without backfill for a several hours while planting and that some of the roots may have dried out.

Can I get a second opinion from some of you experts? I know these things are quite robust, but right now I'm worried I murdered my bamboo the minute I planted it.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Where did I mess up?

Post by Alan_L »

Having exposed roots for several hours doesn't seem ideal, but I'd be surprised if that killed the plants unless they were tiny.

The plants are probably adjusting and you'll lose some leaves/culms.

If your soil is well-draining, then I'd be less concerned about over watering. If it's clay-based or otherwise water retentive, I'd ease back on watering.

Is the grower willing to give some advice? You spent a significant amount of money with them I'd assume, and since it sounds like you're not accusing them of having bad plants, I'd think they'd be eager to help ensure yours are successful.
fargesiagalore

Post by fargesiagalore »

Thanks Alan. Yeah, the grower is willing to help/advise. They're a ways away from me and can't come out to consult in person and this is my first time planting bamboo, so I'm just looking for some 2nd opinions as I know the first days after planting can be really critical.

I inspected this morning and looks like many of the culms are working to put out new leaves. A few culms here and there look like they're beyond saving. But, overall, I think the plants look a bit healthier than they did yesterday. So hopefully they're just getting used to their new home.

The soil is interesting. In 170' of trench, most of it was loamy or loamy clay, but there were definitely a few heavy clay spots, and the plants in those few areas do look like they're working a bit harder to get established.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Bamboo Garden Nursey in Oregon indicates robusta needs protection from hot after noon sun. Based upon my experience this is true for most mountain bamboo. Rgds
fargesiagalore

Post by fargesiagalore »

fredgpops wrote:Bamboo Garden Nursey in Oregon indicates robusta needs protection from hot after noon sun. Based upon my experience this is true for most mountain bamboo. Rgds
Bamboo Nursery is only about 20-30 miles away from me. I actually went out there few years ago when I started thinking about using Bamboo as a hedge. They told me that Robusta (Campbell) is their preferred clumper for full sun in our climate and recommend it all the time for that use. Prefers afternoon shade, but does fine without it. They showed me one of theirs that has been growing in full sun for a decade with no issues.

I may just be a bit paranoid after such a large purchase and a lot of work.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

I planted some F Robusta Wenchuan this spring and experienced the same issue. I was a nervous wreck! The leaves looked so sad the leaves started to wilt and fall off. They are planted in fairly loamy soil with some clay patches.

After two months, and part way through shooting, there were little new leaf spikelets and beautiful new leaves unfurled shortly after. So my advice is to be patient, put down some lawn fertilizer (high in nitrogen) and wait. I lost a few canes in planting, but the new shoots look beautiful. Your F. Robusta is probably just going through some shock.

No one has ever said "Oh no, bamboo is so fragile" :) There's a reason they call it "Robusta"

I'm on Vancouver Island - so we're in the same zone. Nice weather ahead!
fargesiagalore

Post by fargesiagalore »

Glad to hear that, Canadrew. I'll remain patient. And that's a good reminder. The rational side of my brain knows that most people work really hard to kill bamboo and still fail, so I should probably be okay. Haha.
dependable

Post by dependable »

I'll concur that F robusta can take full sun, at least around here. One thing I have seen is that some culms will die in newly planted divisions because the rhizomes they were on or near were damaged during division. Even if they do not make it, the division as a whole will probably be fine.