Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Seeds available

Post by fredgpops »

Tarzanus - Pls share your info re inspecting for seed grain. Great info. Rgds Fred
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have also received seeds from fredgpops and like I usually try to do, manually inspect them for damage, non-viable (such as underdeveloped or diseased) or missing grains. I soon noticed that most of the seeds were missing the grain inside. First I checked the Chusquea gigantea seeds and got a bit over 10% of seeds (30 seeds) that were full with the grain inside. At that point I haven't even check the size or condition of the grain, just the fact if it's present or not. When I moved to Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' seeds, the situation was even worse. I only managed to find one grain, and I double checked the seeds just to be sure. Phyllostachys nigra (black edition) was similar as I only found two full seeds.

If I'd have to guess the reason of so many grainless seeds, I'd definitely accuse birds and possibly rodents if seeds were picked from the ground. Only way to increase the amount of collected seeds is to get the seeds before they hit the ground, possibly with some kind of dense net around the flowers / developing seeds. There could be other reasons like poor pollination, if flowering is just a sporadic
event or if the plants were in some kind of serious shock (like severe drought). Even shocked plants usually set seeds and just use much more reserve and dry out faster.

Do not have high expectations about the seeds because there might only be a few viable seeds. I have tried many seeds by now and I think Phyllostachys seeds shouldn't take more than a month to sprout. Chusquea bamboos can take quite a while though, so stay patient and don't let them dry out.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Tarzanus pls explain how you test for grain in the seed pod. I found this info you provided to me very valuable. Rgds Fred
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I simply press each of the seeds with my finger. If it's empty, there's no resistance, if there's grain in it, it feels hard. To be sure, I re-checked the empty ones by carefully trying to bend them. empty seeds are soft and will easily bend while the grain is hard and offers resistance and won't bend (not without breaking - don't be too strong on it :mrgreen: ). I just pick the seed with my thumb and index finger and press it softly against the other hand's index finger to see how stiff the seed is, if it's soft, it's empty, if not, there's still hope.

The process is quite easy, but it can take a while if there are lots of seeds. It is worth the effort, though. By removing the debris, there's much less chance of mold infection or rot.

Btw, did any of the seeds you guys tried germinate yet?
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

None of the seeds I received have germinated so far. I'm moving them from the wet paper towel into small compost planters tomorrow, so hopefully they will have better results.

I did a quick check on the Nigra seeds and I believe most of them are hollow as well. When I move them to their compost, I will double check.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Update - I moved my seeds from the paper towel to a tray of compost. Out of my 40 seeds of each Henon and Nigra, only two of each have grain in then. Fingers crossed that I get germination! :)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Good luck!
Fresh seeds should sprout very quickly. One to two weeks most of Phyllostachys I've grown. Older seeds can be slower, but these are fresh. I think I've seen one of my sprouting already! It is the only henon seed I have.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Tarzanus wrote:Good luck!
Fresh seeds should sprout very quickly. One to two weeks most of Phyllostachys I've grown. Older seeds can be slower, but these are fresh. I think I've seen one of my sprouting already! It is the only henon seed I have.
Do you have a magic germination method?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

My magic germination method is a system of a couple of things. With valuable seeds I always try to:
1 - Clean up the seeds (take out empty ones, non-ripe or evidently damaged seeds. I try germinating some of those that still have potential seperately)
2 - Use sterile soil mix (I use at least some perlite in it to increase soil aeration)
3 - Keep the pots close (that way I can see if the soil gets dry, or anything that could pose a threat to small seedlings)
4 - Use ground water (I try not to use tap water. I collect rain water and use ground water instead)
5 - possibly more little details I can't remember at the time :)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

here it is :)
IMG_20200930_194247.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Congtats on the new seedling. What temp and sun/shade are you exposing the seeds? Also what depth are you planting the seeds? Rgds
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Thank you. I keep them inside at room temperature. Slightly above 20°C. I use very soft substrate with plenty of organic matter and nice amount of perlite to further aerate the substrate. Since it's soft and 'fluffy' :lol: , seeds could be sown a bit deeper, especially because water retention of this kind of substrate is low, but I only cover the seeds with a few milimeters. I mist the soil thoroughly every evening when I check the pots for mold and lack of water.

That's it. When the seedlings appear, I try to keep them under artificial light. 8h sleep, 16h day cycle. I don't use automated switch, but since I check them on daily basis, I turn the lights on/off as well while doing the regular misting and checkout.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

IMG_bamboo.jpg
No additional germination of other seeds yet. This one grows quite fast though.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Tarzanus wrote:
IMG_bamboo.jpg
No additional germination of other seeds yet. This one grows quite fast though.
Now you're just showing off :D
No movement from my seeds in their compost with a light misting of water every evening... Starting to lose hope :(
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Now you're just showing off :D
:drunken: :mrgreen:

If the seeds are still firm and hard, not mushy and soft. they are likely still ok. Especially Chusquea gigantea which needs quite some time to start sprouting. Keep it up and check the seeds (I use sprayer to uncover the seed and check it, if it doesn't sprout in a month or so) every now and then. If one is soft, I remove it and check if I can find another one. If the seeds have rotted, I toss them, if not, there's still hope. :)