Tool for covering tall bamboo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mshaffer
Location info: 0

Tool for covering tall bamboo

Post by mshaffer »

I've been experimenting with different ways to protect my Moso during the winter. I just thought I'd share a video of a little contraption i made. It's basically a radio controlled funnel that gets pulled up the bamboo culm. It installs a wind-proof insulated sleeve on the bamboo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TITD_PPqU

It's sort of extreme I guess, but it's nice to have a way to protect the larger culms when we get a blizzard, etc.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Tool for covering tall bamboo

Post by needmore »

How does the cover get removed? Where are you located, it looks like the leaves have fallen already?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

I'm not sure if this is genius or outlandish... but I certainly like it. Well thought out.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Is it attached to a boom, or a drone or something? Looks interesting, but video does not really show how whole contraption.

One culm down, 100 more to go.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

The cover has a seam, so you just separate it at the bottom, then walk away from the culm and it separates.

I filmed this several months ago when the leaves were down. I combined a few different takes for different angles, etc.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

It's attached to a pulley hung between two oak trees. I have a wireless controlled winch to raise/lower it. You can see the wire going to the winch if you look closely.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

It's also capable of putting lights or a heating element inside the cover. I was going to put up several of the tubes with lights inside of them last winter, but it didn't really get cold enough to justify the trouble of putting them up. I think if there were snow cover it would look really cool to have a bunch of them lit up.
Attachments
bamboonight.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

This. Is. Crazy.

If you had a bigger sized sleeve you could put multiple close culms together in one, which seems like it would be better (more airspace, stronger support).

Definitely need a report in the spring to see how these fared compared to unprotected.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Yea, I thought about making it for multiple culms. I guess I mainly wanted to use it for my Moso and they're space pretty far apart.

I put it on a few culms last winter and they definitely had less damage compared to the uncovered ones.
dependable

Post by dependable »

That is a pretty cool device, the ingenuity is impressive, even if it might not be practical on a large scale.

What is cover and seam made of?
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

The outer layer is ripstop nylon and there are two layers of N-Sulate fabric sewn on the inside. The ripstop nylon is windproof and the N-Sulate adds insulation and also strength. There's a seam of 3/4" Velcro along the edge to form the tube shape.

The funnel itself is made of 1/4" polycarbonate and was the hardest part of the project. I made a funnel shaped mold out of wood, then had someone from the local lathe club form it into a smooth funnel shape. Then I used an oven to heat the plastic and then drape-form it over the mold.
Attachments
bambootool1.jpg
bambootool2.jpg
bambootool3.jpg
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

more pictures
Attachments
bambootool4.jpg
bambootool5.jpg
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I should mention, the Velcro fastens rather quickly. It's not like you have to sit there and do it inch by inch. You can swipe it one or two feet at a time. It's actually surprisingly fast.
Glen

Post by Glen »

mshaffer wrote:It's sort of extreme I guess, but it's nice to have a way to protect the larger culms when we get a blizzard, etc.
I have to say I applaud this kind of commitment and technical ability!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

you didn't mention how the contraption is lifted. ?