Bamboo growing sideways

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Diane
Location info: 0

Bamboo growing sideways

Post by Diane »

When I googled this, I saw some other results of this being normal, but wanted to confirm.
Bamboo is in a planter and this fall (and summer), the culms are growing on a diagonal outward. It’s looking very messy and floppy. Are these rhizomes coming outward and then growing up as bamboo? Should I try to put new growth like this back under the soil?
Assuming because the container is too small?
It’s really driving me nuts.
Here are some photos.
Attachments
61EB02C1-AF2B-478D-869C-7476D6E80C52.jpeg
BA8E0DF4-1D7A-4698-A436-A3863ED69C70.jpeg
0B7579E1-AE83-4C9A-AB4C-F3CB155A32DD.jpeg
Canadrew

Re: Bamboo growing sideways

Post by Canadrew »

That's my experience, yes. I put a heavy object on the shoot to force it back into the ground over a couple of days.

And no, your container isn't too small - running bamboo will do this normally.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

When I saw you post title I thought that it was just the photo that needed to be turned. :drunken:

Quite normal, I'd leave it alone, I think once they've greened they prefer to turn into culms but it might dive back down into the soil. When bamboo does this and ends up turning these into culms (often called 'whipshoots') they tend to be leafy and stay low; in cold areas I've found that these are ideal to bury during cold snaps (self bury in snow) and sometimes are the only culms that survive a cold winter.

Can you update your location with you NJ, it will help future advice knowing your climate?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks for the advice. I should have asked this earlier because I really don’t like the sideways look, but better late than never. If I see in the future, I’ll dig them back under the soil.