Help selecting bamboo variety for zone 10a (Sunset zone 19)

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

riotubes
Location info: 0

Help selecting bamboo variety for zone 10a (Sunset zone 19)

Post by riotubes »

Hello,

I would appreciate help selecting a bamboo species that thrives in USDA 10A (Sunset climate zone 19). Zip code 91436 (Encino, California).
I have a 24' stretch of metal fence I'd like to plant bamboo with an East/West exposure, and another 16' stretch where the bamboo would face South/North.
The 24' stretch would be planted under Juniper trees. There is 2-3 feet between the tree trunk and fence. We'd like to create a hedge in both spots that is approximately 5-8 feet tall.
Prefer a clumping variety with foliage that grows down low on the cane (i.e. a good privacy screen) because our lot is elevated and we want to create some privacy.
These are both areas that get what I would consider "full sun". Advice sought.
riotubes

Re: Help selecting bamboo variety for zone 10a (Sunset zone

Post by riotubes »

anyone? Just a suggestion or two for clumping variety and thrives in zone 10A that can be used as privacy hedge at 6-9' height?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Help selecting bamboo variety for zone 10a (Sunset zone

Post by needmore »

Sorry, somehow missed this post! A short 6-9', clumping screen in LA could be Bambusa multiplex 'Riverorium', I 2 in Esparto that did thrive, grew quickly and stayed in your height range - the tend to get wide as well so you would not need as many plants since they could be spaced apart pretty far. The Alphonse Karr form of B multiplex is more common/easy to source in CA, more ornamental and makes a great screen but in time it would creep above your target height but slowly, not much and could be topped if it did.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com