Bare root bamboo planting

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Andros2240
Location info: 0

Re: Bare root bamboo planting

Post by Andros2240 »

needmore wrote:I'm also struggling with the spacing issue, from experience I'm planting based on other areas I've grown bamboo but I'm inclined toward putting these sub tropicals too close together and I need to push them farther apart - these guys get huge and every time I see a clump somewhere else I am taken by how much space they need. It of course depends upon what you are trying to achieve, we want room to walk through areas and not get squeezed by bamboo. I do intend to try and keep my clumps smaller than the 'free range' ones I see but your 8m sounds like a minimum spacing unless you want them to mix together. I think in 5 years a typical clump might be 3-4m at the base and the tops depending upon species much broader.

I'm actually thinking about 12-15m apart except for walls I want to create.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I definitely do not want different species mixing. I do have some bamboos planted out at closer spacing, but these are being used as a wind break/ fencing. Tuldoides on the north side of the property is planted at 2-3 meter spacing( 2 rows). Also have Oldhamii planted in 3 areas at 2-3 meter spacing, multiplex 2 meter spacing and Guadua Chacoensis at 4 mt spacing as a windbreak and other G.Chacoensis at 8 meter spacing.
Andros2240
Location info: 0

Re: Bare root bamboo planting

Post by Andros2240 »

Alan_L wrote:When I bring any of my plants (not bamboo) out of shade into sun, I do it slowly with gradually more sun exposure only if the plant has lots of leaves that it will keep. If it has none or few leaves, straight into full sun -- you want those new leaves to be accustomed to full sun from the first minute.
Thanks Alan, bamboos that have started to leaf out, I relocated to a sunny area, more morning sun than evening sun. I’ve checked on them throughout the day and seem to be doing fine.